Retaining ownership question

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I, like many of you, sell my calves from my cow-calf operation at the local sale barns and hope to squeeze some kind of profit out at the end of the year. My question is to those who keep their calves and send them to feed lots. I would like to hear your experiences with this and any advice a novice like myself would need before trying this.

Last year I kept my calves over winter rather than sellin at weaning. I did have to house them at night and feed them concetrate mixed with ensilage. It comes down to: do you have a place to overnight, can you feed concetrate, and/or quality ensilage ? The price difference in your market can make it worthwhile.

I send several to the feed lots through the salebarn. I find I get better competition that way. If they come to my place to get them I only have one guy "bidding". If I take them to the barn I have several people bidding to get my calves. The biggest advantage is your reputation. Those buyers learn who has what type of calves. They will buy anything they can get. But they pay a higher price for ones they know they can get that will have no trouble adapting to this new enviroment. One of the biggests concerns are medications. Some calves arrive at the barn right off the cow. They have never had a shot in their life and have no idea what a feed bunk looks like. When mine goes through the ring I make sure that it is announced that they have had all of their shots and are bunk broke, ready to pour the feed to in other words. I like for my calves to walk off of their trailers and head to the feed bunk. Feeding cattle like this envolves a lot of risk. If they can get some proven calves they will pay high dollar. To prepair mine for this I have them eating out of confined lots and from bunks well in advance of the sell.

What about sending them to the feedlot yourself, and retaining ownership all the way to packers?

Pharmer":16eyy4yt said:
What about sending them to the feedlot yourself, and retaining ownership all the way to packers?

There are a number of feedlots in MO that will feed out and market your calves and you retain ownership. Seems like the Midwest Cattleman has ads every issue.

dun

There are tons of them here in Texas also. My opinion is it is maximum profit to be made. At the same time the max risk. The only thing I don't like is in most of the cases they feed, market and everything. You don't have much of a say. I have also heard of some being or having better pen riders. And better health plans and vac programs. Alot of mom and pop operations coming up. I hear good and bad. So get refferencesand research each operation. Most that are participants of branded programs are the better ones. Irsik and Doll is a good one.

Scotty

I looked at some quotes I got this spring. Feed was going to start at 110/ton and go up as the ration gets more grain. Vac. would run around 7 per head. Any other meds would be billed monthly.

Scotty

Pharmer":2kv8d7io said:
I, like many of you, sell my calves from my cow-calf operation at the local sale barns and hope to squeeze some kind of profit out at the end of the year. My question is to those who keep their calves and send them to feed lots. I would like to hear your experiences with this and any advice a novice like myself would need before trying this.

The only way to know what your cattle will do in the feedyard is to sell them on a grid. That way you will get your carcass data back, hopefully with premiums.

Call and ask for Dan at the Decatur County Feedyard in Kansas. He'll steer you in the right direction.

http://www.decaturfeedyard.com/

Pharmer":tl9ij2fu said:

Does Arkansas have a state sponsored retained ownership program? Check with your local extension people. IMO, that's a good way to get your feet wet in retaining ownership. Here in OK, it's called the OK Steer Feedout. When we particiated: You pay a nomination fee for each animal at delivery, all other costs are deducted from receipts when the calves are sold, and you get the balance. They give you feedlot peformance and carcass information. They also give out cash awards for groups of animals that do well. Each state program is different, though, so check with your local people. Good luck...

Pharmer: If you currently sell your cattle through the sale barn, and think they would do good enough to retain ownership, go out and market your calves to the better feedlots that buy through your barn. Make a connection with people, put a face to the bidder number, go out and look at them in the feedlot. If you can build up a relationship with someone that will let you know how they liked your calves, it will give you a much better idea on whether you should retain ownership or not.

does anybody know of any retained ownership programs in the Southeast?

Latest posts