Replacement heifers Dec 4, 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Took a little walk around with the camera. I think they were confused because I wasn't carrying pails. I'm happy enough with the way they are growing.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tdgAK75fajI[/youtube]

Those look great silver. Really like the dark red. What kind of bull are you putting in with these?

kentuckyguy":26s8153f said:
Those look great silver. Really like the dark red. What kind of bull are you putting in with these?

Thanks! They will get Simmie R/A cross bulls when the time comes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qjthvfr said:
They really look GOOD. They are in perfect BCS, IMO.
I notice a few with horns showing. Will you dehorn, or you let your cows have horns?

Horns will come off when I brand them in the spring. If I do this just before calving so it's still fresh in my mind I will do a better job with the paste as the new ones are born.

Silver":2u70ke4h said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2u70ke4h said:
They really look GOOD. They are in perfect BCS, IMO.
I notice a few with horns showing. Will you dehorn, or you let your cows have horns?

Horns will come off when I brand them in the spring. If I do this just before calving so it's still fresh in my mind I will do a better job with the paste as the new ones are born.
LOL - kinda like having a string on your finger? great reminder!!!!

BlondeD":o8kercon said:
All looking very nice and solid. Their ages..???

Thanks. The oldest calf in the group could be close to nine months, the youngest a little over seven months, by my math. Started calving Mar 10.

Finally got the heifers branded and some horns knocked off today between snow squalls and rain showers. I think they came through the winter in pretty good shape, they quit getting their 4-5 lbs of grain as of Mar 1.
For some reason the crooked necked heifer just had to be in the picture and stands out like a sore thumb. She somehow hurt herself at weaning time and must have done some nerve damage.

[media]https://youtu.be/HMk9QW34kL8[/media]