Replacement Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
IMG_0601_edited.JPG

One of my replacements, let me know what you think. Gelbvieh/Red Angus Hereford/Saler cross. She's 5mo old here

Although I like her conformation, she isn't feminine enough and will either lack maternally or may not be as fertile as you'd want in your cowherd.

she does look a little"bully". I have a black baldy that I am
shipping for that reason, she is 6 mo old, very growthy,
just looks bully. :shock:

I agree, she is a little too bull looking but to say she will not have maternal qualities or be fertile because of it :?: That's not been my experience.

My experience with heifers that were too bull looking were that they grow up to be too bull acting (aggressive, dominate, etc.).

Thank God it's raining here this morning :welcome:

MFC

I think she would look a lot more feminine without all that skin hanging down. Other than that I don,t see a bullish look. I would like to see a pick from the front.
I have seen proof of bullish looking cows being less fertile.
I have also seen feminine looking bulls that were a lot less aggressive.

MountainFarmChar":q6a7qe62 said:
I agree, she is a little too bull looking but to say she will not have maternal qualities or be fertile because of it :?: That's not been my experience.

My experience with heifers that were too bull looking were that they grow up to be too bull acting (aggressive, dominate, etc.).

Thank God it's raining here this morning :welcome:

MFC
Hey MFC, send some of that rain up this way, PLEASE! We need it bad too. I am jealous. ;-)

THG

3waycross":1ks5knnl said:
IMG_0601_edited.JPG

One of my replacements, let me know what you think. Gelbvieh/Red Angus Hereford/Saler cross. She's 5mo old here
-Good, deep thick replacement heifer! Good legs and bone, and enough substance and capacity to do just what a replacement is designed to do. Is her dam a good maternal beef cow? Milk adequately? Seems docile enough to be able to work around her with little or no problems. If that is a horn peeking out, I sure would get rid of that. The dewlap skin is a minor consideration, and acts as a cooling agent in hot summers without being a negative factor. Don't you wish that you had 50 of them just like that??

DOC HARRIS

I challenge you all to go out and look at your prettiest cow. I'll bet you she doesnt raise the best calf.

Lovely heifer, I wouldnt worry at all about head on her, although I would watch the shoulders - they look a little heavy for my liking.

Thank you all for your feedback. I checked the date on the pics today, she is actually only 4 mo old here.

I also was a little worried that she might be a little too masculine, but I'll keep her and see what happens. The shoulders are the Gelbvieh influence. I'll be curious how she does calving.

KNERSIE":1u0574ai said:
Although I like her conformation, she isn't feminine enough and will either lack maternally or may not be as fertile as you'd want in your cowherd.

And you know this because? I've heard a lot of things over the years, but this is first for this one. I'm curious as to how you can state this definitely.

msscamp":3phgk5pe said:
KNERSIE":3phgk5pe said:

And you know this because? I've heard a lot of things over the years, but this is first for this one. I'm curious as to how you can state this definitely.
I thought that this was common knowledge.
This may help you.
http://www.bovineengineering.com/linear_female.html

msscamp":7h0th5zm said:
KNERSIE":7h0th5zm said:

Maybe I should have said she is likely to be either lacking maternally or is likely to be less fertile than ideal.

Do a search of Bonsma's work, or google endocrine balance in bovines and you are likely to get more scientific proof of what I have said than you'd care to read.

If you have any questions about this feel free to pm me and I'll try and explain to the best of my ability.

Keren":2ke5ufek said:
I challenge you all to go out and look at your prettiest cow. I'll bet you she doesnt raise the best calf.

Lovely heifer, I wouldnt worry at all about head on her, although I would watch the shoulders - they look a little heavy for my liking.

AMEN.

I have a heifer that had some extra leather at 4 months old. She grew into it just fine; we even showed her some. She was big enough that we bred her at 13 months and she took the first time AI. How's that for less fertile?

newbie question-

why does it matter if she looks bullie? I have a heifer just like her and i actually like the extra muscle etc. what does the bullie look do to her calfing ability? thanks

I like my females to look like females. I have found over the years that if they look like a steer/bull, they act like one (in fertility - milk production).
This heifer has way too much leather for me - but that does not make her "bullie" looking. Big blocky heads, big shoulders, heavy neck muscle - that's masculine to me. Heavy butt & loin muscle DOES NOT make them masculine.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3sf2xwtl said:
I like my females to look like females. I have found over the years that if they look like a steer/bull, they act like one (in fertility - milk production).
This heifer has way too much leather for me - but that does not make her "bullie" looking. Big blocky heads, big shoulders, heavy neck muscle - that's masculine to me. Heavy butt & loin muscle DOES NOT make them masculine.

I'm with Jeanne. I like blocky bodied big butted heifers. What I don;t like is coarsness in the head and neck

jvicars":sw44ybs6 said:
newbie question-

why does it matter if she looks bullie? I have a heifer just like her and i actually like the extra muscle etc. what does the bullie look do to her calfing ability? thanks

The problem is some can't tell the difference b/w well muscled and bully. Dun and Jeanne have it.

Latest posts