Replacement heifer critique

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Thinking of retaining this heifer and want opinions

O5-07-joke.jpg

Does she walk in circles? She has her neck in a funny looking twist.

Definitely keep her. Whenever you see pink on the inside of their ears and a cute pink nose they are keepers. The way she is sticking out her tongue is a definite giveaway that she is a replacement.

Dun, I'm suprised-you should know that. ;-) :D :D

warpaint":zim8zlp5 said:
Kinda early to tell aint it?

Don;t know about that. She was almost 2 hours old in the picture. Had a hard time getting got shot of her without her head under the cow or her tail in the air.

dun

I think i would take into consideration as what kind of producer its moma was. Weather or not she had throwed good calfs and if she had them without any problems etc...., And then two if the calf seemed to be energetic and alert. But with out knowing these things it would be hard for me to decided from just looking at the calf. And then i would have to see what it looked like at weaning age to make my final decession.

You know when i bought my heifers. They ran 8 through at one time and i bought all 8 thinking i would cull a couple of them later on. One in particular was a short squaty looking heifer. I even at first thought she was bloated with maybe something wrong with her. The vet said she was fine and just built like that. She weighed 550 lbs at that time. I was going to take her back and sale her and get another one. But when ever i started feeding them. She would root the others out like a pig at the troff. She was a very healthy acting animal. So i never did cull her.

She grew out pretty good but still had a big bloated look to her like as if she was already bred. But we had checked her a couple of times before breeding time and she was open.

When it came time to have her calf. She spit that dude out in just a couple of hours. Good looking calf. And for some reason she lost that big gut (bloated look that she always had) She looks like the rest of them now. A tall, long fleshy good looking cow.

Cull. see how she is holding her head down? that means she is deathly ill. dont waste an eartag on her.

He found her in the bar ditch up the road. She had crawled out of the neighbor's pasture. Now Dun wants to keep her.

definitely looks like a keeper to me... I like the ones with the "mask" look. but I also agree with the comment about what momma is like. Thats what I usually go by when deciding the final grade on my replacements.

Does the wife like her? Is she related to your "Granny" cow. looks like she is nice on the eyes...I like to see the white faces..I'd keep her :)

donna

Latest posts