Remedy

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Has it changed ?
I noticed when I was measuring it that it looked lighter in color. Like weak tea color.
I mixed with diesel 3 to 1
Normally it kills mesquite stone cold dead, but I'm not getting good results this time

I have wondered the same thing. Several years ago when I started my mesquite killing quest it seemed to do very well and most of the first ones I sprayed are dead. but the mesquites I sprayed last year all browned out and lost their leaves but then most of them came right back this spring. I switched to sendero this year. Hoping it will work better.

Did you buy Remedy or Remedy Ultra? The Ultra no longer uses petroleum distillates as a carrier. Instead it uses plant based methylated seed oil as a carrier and this makes the color and the smell a little different. I got a great kill using it last week on some hard to kill woody plants.

I used the ultra
I'm getting some browning and yellowing after 3 weeks but not a hard kill.
I used sendero on the smaller mesquite but on the trees if that's the right term for a 10-12 mesquite, I used remedy and diesel.
In years past after a week they were brown and shedding leaves.
Now I'm getting a little kill and some aren't showing any signs except the lower limbs that were sprayed directly
Edit
No kill except on lower limbs

MoCrackerCowboy":wb1olp0u said:
I would say timing has a lot to do with it

Past experience it didn't matter with remedy and diesel.
Dead of winter or mid summer it knocked them out.

So which is the better product for basilar spraying mesquites? Is it remedy or remedy ultra?

I believe regular Remedy was discontinued when the patent ran out. There shouldn't be much difference and the there wasn't when testing was done.

counties.agrilife.org/menard/files/2011/08/Remedy-Ultra-vs-Remedy-Dow07.pdf

As mentioned in the pdf, and from what I have seen in my own experience, if you are doing the leaf spray, you need to add the other herbicide Reclaim. If doing the basal bark method, both should work equally well. You might want to increase the amount of Remedy in the mix to see if you can get a quicker burn down.

bird dog":de5ysbra said:
I believe regular Remedy was discontinued when the patent ran out. There shouldn't be much difference and the there wasn't when testing was done.

counties.agrilife.org/menard/files/2011/08/Remedy-Ultra-vs-Remedy-Dow07.pdf

As mentioned in the pdf, and from what I have seen in my own experience, if you are doing the leaf spray, you need to add the other herbicide Reclaim. If doing the basal bark method, both should work equally well. You might want to increase the amount of Remedy in the mix to see if you can get a quicker burn down.
What I noticed when doing the basal spray, hickory and oak and elm shown signs of sickness within a couple of days. With locust, I sprayed some and 2 weeks later it looked like I hadn;t done anything. 1 week later they were dead as rock all the way to the top.

Yeah locust is a funny plant. As you say they don't appear to be dying and the leaves just show a small amount of yellow but once they turn towards death, it s rapid and usually complete. They don't come back from the roots as often as mesquite. Another good thing on locust is the complete death is more rapid and they get brittle and break down in just a few months where mesquite might take a year.
I had a small grove of them about15' tall x 100' wide and 200' long that I killed at my old place with basal bark treatment. About 3 months later a big wind came up and broke them all off at ground level and blew them into a pile that looked like it had been done with a tractor and a grapple. Some dry grass and match made quick work of them. Like mesquites, the ground underneath them is fertile and grass rapidly takes over.

I've never had any locusts here to speak of, but this year I'm seeing a lot of it all over my yard...or at least it looks like locust but no thorns. Pretty thick in places and I have no idea where it suddenly came from.

greybeard":7fe7uedp said:
I've never had any locusts here to speak of, but this year I'm seeing a lot of it all over my yard...or at least it looks like locust but no thorns. Pretty thick in places and I have no idea where it suddenly came from.

I wish I knew, how long a locust seed could lay dormant in the soil, and then suddenly spring to life. It must be a very long time. I eliminated any locust capable of producing seed from my place some time ago. I literally spot spray a few thousand seedlings a year. Keep thinking that someday I will exhaust the seed bank, but it's not in the foreseeable future.

Bigfoot that is also a problem with mesquites. They produce beans that get eaten by lots of different animals and get spread everywhere. I have a few pastures where large mesquites are my only shade so spraying seedlings is a job that never ends.

bird dog":1pnaf8qt said:
Bigfoot that is also a problem with mesquites. They produce beans that get eaten by lots of different animals and get spread everywhere. I have a few pastures where large mesquites are my only shade so spraying seedlings is a job that never ends.
Same with senna bean. Thought I had them all gone a couple years ago, now I see a new batch right back in the same place as before. Must be lots of seed in the ground because I've always sprayed them before they made beans.

Honey locust seed pods are particularly sweet. I have actually tried them myself.

bird dog":24b9qhkb said:

A mesquite tree here doesnt get big enough provide much shade.
They aren't good for much of anything but cooking wood.
I cook most every night over mesquite wood

Latest posts