Remedy and cedar ("ashe juniper")

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
Several people here, as well as various employees at places like TSC, have told me to use Remedy on the cedar (actually, ashe juniper, but nobody calls it that) I'm trying to control on my central Texas property. I probably have about 100 cedars that are 1 to 5 feet, and another 100 or so that are 5 to 8 feet. I've also been advised that Remedy will take out mesquite and prickly pear as well.

I'm curious, however, why the Dow website for Remedy doesn't include cedar as one of Remedy's target plants. Instead, they recommend Tordon. Is Dow doing that just to promote sales of Tordon, or is something else going on? Just curious.

Because Remedy might work and Tordon probably will work. How about Garlon?? I know on somehard to kill trees and bushes, If you spray around the trunk it will kill it.

highgrit":10yu3ih7 said:
Because Remedy might work and Tordon probably will work. How about Garlon?? I know on somehard to kill trees and bushes, If you spray around the trunk it will kill it.

Garlon's restricted. So is Tordon, for that matter. All this stuff is expensive (even if it is tax deductible), and I really need to do it right the first time. It's not like I have suitcases full of money for experimenting with this and that.

Thanks,
Ruark
Evant, TX

To use tordon the least expensively you need to cut the tree and squirt the tordon on the freshly cut stump.

Ruark":xqzfcd3o said:
Several people here, as well as various employees at places like TSC, have told me to use Remedy on the cedar (actually, ashe juniper, but nobody calls it that) I'm trying to control on my central Texas property. I probably have about 100 cedars that are 1 to 5 feet, and another 100 or so that are 5 to 8 feet. I've also been advised that Remedy will take out mesquite and prickly pear as well.

I'm curious, however, why the Dow website for Remedy doesn't include cedar as one of Remedy's target plants. Instead, they recommend Tordon. Is Dow doing that just to promote sales of Tordon, or is something else going on? Just curious.
Ruark a lot of time, money and research goes into getting chemicals, medicines, etc approved for various things. To add cedar to the list may have just been more money than the company wanted to spend. Guarantee you the remedy will kill the ones you have.

Remedy and Garlon have the same active ingredient - triclopyr. You might try the streamline basal treatment with Remedy, a penetrating surfactant like Cide Kick II and diesel for a carrier. 3/4 gal of Remedy, 38 oz of Cide Kick and 1.95 gal diesel will make 3 gallons of mix. Spray a 3 inch band on each trunk. Works on mesquite and huisache. I have used it on cedars and it worked.

Using Remedy, 1 oz. per gallon, and a commercial surfactant: what percent of the cedar needs to be sprayed in order to kill it? Does the ENTIRE TREE need to be soaked? I've heard 50% of it, but would like second opinions. I'm asking this for two reasons. First, some of these are in clusters and it's hard to get around them. Second, I have a bunch of them to spray, some in very difficult-to-reach locations, and this stuff is expensive. I don't want to waste it by spraying more than necessary. Mucho thanks for the advice so far, I deeply appreciate it.

Before you start foliar spraying, what are you planning on doing wit hthe dead trees? I'vefoiund in some areas just cutting them off at the ground while they;re alive is a more painless and cheaper alternative. Our local PITA cedar/juniper dies if you cut it below the lowest branch. For oaks and hickorys that don;t die when cut like that I scut them and squirt the stump with tordon.
To your question, I usually only spray about half or maybe a bit lss with water and Remedy. If you use diesel you want to make sure to not spray any foliage, that just burns the foliage off and doesn;t affect the tree.

dun":3re90bg0 said:
Before you start foliar spraying, what are you planning on doing wit hthe dead trees? I'vefoiund in some areas just cutting them off at the ground while they;re alive is a more painless and cheaper alternative. Our local PITA cedar/juniper dies if you cut it below the lowest branch.
To your question, I usually only spray about half or maybe a bit with water and Remedy. If you use diesel you want to make sure to not spray any foliage, that just burns the foliage off and doesn;t affect the tree.

Dun, how do you get any work done? 8)

Cedar turns to something like balsa wood after it's been dead for a few months. No problem cleaning it up. I know cutting it at ground level kills it, but I don't have the stamina or the chainsaw to do 200 of them. You can dull a chainsaw in an hour cutting on live cedar. And even a "little" 6-footer can be a foot thick at ground level. Believe me, I don't want to go there.

My current plan is to use Remedy @ 1 oz per gal and Top Surf surfactant. There's also a fish-oil-based surfactant called Herbex, but I'm not sure I really need it if the Top Surf works OK.

Ruark
Evant, TX

I use a polesaw to reach in under the cedars, keeps the needles from getting down my neck.

You can do a basal treatment at the base of the tree (just above the ground) using a mixture of Remedy and diesel. That should kill them. If you do a Google search on brush busters the Texas department of Ag has a great series of articles on this. Haven't used it on cedars but killed a boatload of tallows last summer this way.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":lm1n9b0r said:
You can do a basal treatment at the base of the tree (just above the ground) using a mixture of Remedy and diesel. That should kill them. If you do a Google search on brush busters the Texas department of Ag has a great series of articles on this. Haven't used it on cedars but killed a boatload of tallows last summer this way.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

I looked. Interesting... once again, Tordon is used, and Remedy isn't mentioned.

Remedy will kill mesquite...cedar won't be a problem. Only mistake would be to mix the solution too weak in your effort to save money. Mix it strong..you should be able to do 200 of them with a pump up sprayer in a couple of hours. If you have a UTV you won't even have to get out of the seat.

I bush hogged all the little cedars on my farm which left the bigger ones. those I cut with the chain saw no spraying. I cut the honey locusts because of the thorns and then sprayed the stumps with crossbow. Killed them hammer dead. The crossbow was purcased at TSC for around 100.00 for a gallon.

TexasBred":rvctc6mt said:
Remedy will kill mesquite...cedar won't be a problem. Only mistake would be to mix the solution too weak in your effort to save money. Mix it strong..you should be able to do 200 of them with a pump up sprayer in a couple of hours. If you have a UTV you won't even have to get out of the seat.

The Remedy label states 2 quarts (64 oz.) per 100 gallons of water for foliar spraying. In my 15 gallon sprayer, that calculates to 9.6 ounces of Remedy (.15 X 64 = 9.6). I'll probably put in about 12 ounces, along with some Top Surf surfactant. Don't have an ATV, but have numerous tractors and vehicles. I do have an old garden tractor with a little trailer; I can put the sprayer tank in that and run it off the tractor's battery.

According to what I've learned, 50% coverage of the cedar will kill it, i.e. spraying it on one side, without having to go all the way around each individual tree. I hope so, because some of them are sort of clustered.

Apparently you don't spray mesquite until it's well leafed out, so I'll hold off on those. I do have numerous patches of prickly pear to take out; I'll give some of them an experimental shot. The Remedy label (and everybody else) recommends adding Reclaim when spraying mesquite, but from what a lot of people say, Remedy alone will kill it just fine. Jeez, makes me wonder if I can believe ANYTHING the label says.

I got all the stuff this morning, and will do some spraying Monday. Any further comments or advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ruark
Evant, TX

Ruark hope you get'em all first go around. They are a pain in the butt and will take over a place before you know it....best of luck.

hillbillycwo":2uq8t7ax said:
I bush hogged all the little cedars on my farm which left the bigger ones. those I cut with the chain saw no spraying. I cut the honey locusts because of the thorns and then sprayed the stumps with crossbow. Killed them hammer dead. The crossbow was purcased at TSC for around 100.00 for a gallon.
you can purchase remedy for less than that and it will make 3 times as much
remedy is the ingredient that kills the woody species that they use in crossbow

Reclaim just makes everything work a little better. It is expensive but so is my labor. If it helps by reducing the number of trees that you have to spray twice, it is worth it and it will do this. The power pellets are a lot less labor and expense but you had better plan on putting them out twice, about six months apart. For me they don't work very well on Mesquite but do well on locust and cedar.

Ruark":2lpkp9hr said:
TexasBred":2lpkp9hr said:

The Remedy label states 2 quarts (64 oz.) per 100 gallons of water for foliar spraying. In my 15 gallon sprayer, that calculates to 9.6 ounces of Remedy (.15 X 64 = 9.6). I'll probably put in about 12 ounces, along with some Top Surf surfactant. Don't have an ATV, but have numerous tractors and vehicles. I do have an old garden tractor with a little trailer; I can put the sprayer tank in that and run it off the tractor's battery.

According to what I've learned, 50% coverage of the cedar will kill it, i.e. spraying it on one side, without having to go all the way around each individual tree. I hope so, because some of them are sort of clustered. Apparently you don't spray mesquite until it's well leafed out, so I'll hold off on those. I do have numerous patches of prickly pear to take out; I'll give some of them an experimental shot. The Remedy label (and everybody else) recommends adding Reclaim when spraying mesquite, but from what a lot of people say, Remedy alone will kill it just fine. Jeez, makes me wonder if I can believe ANYTHING the label says.

I got all the stuff this morning, and will do some spraying Monday. Any further comments or advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ruark
Evant, TX
I'd advise to spray all the way around and most likely need to spray the entire plant in a folar application...

Latest posts