What percent Remedy should I use for leaf spraying mesquite

Help Support CattleToday:

Echo

Reaction score
I'm new to treating mesquite and still figuring out how to deal with it. I got some Remedy to do leaf spraying on individual plants that are around our property in north central Texas. Reading on the TAMU brush busters website, it says 0.5% Remedy and 0.5% Reclaim in water with surfactant for leaf spraying. Is Reclaim really necessary? Will Remedy by itself work? If so, is 0.5% (2/3 of an ounce per gallon of water) Remedy enough or should I use a higher percentage? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You are looking at an older version of the brush busters. Not they want you to use Sendero. Reclaim definitely helps but you can do without. It is a restricted herbicide that a lot of folks can't buy and that is one of the reasons they developed Sendero which is unrestricted.

Now back to your question, use at least 1%. With straight remedy, water and surf, I would bump it up to about 2%. Soak each leaf of the tree to where it is just starting to drip off. Check them again in a couple weeks and get the ones that are missed or or that still look real strong. Good luck.

Echo,

Not what you asked but, why not do a basal treatment?
Less chemical is needed.

my 2 :2cents:
Farmgirl

bird dog said:
You are looking at an older version of the brush busters. Not they want you to use Sendero. Reclaim definitely helps but you can do without. It is a restricted herbicide that a lot of folks can't buy and that is one of the reasons they developed Sendero which is unrestricted.

Now back to your question, use at least 1%. With straight remedy, water and surf, I would bump it up to about 2%. Soak each leaf of the tree to where it is just starting to drip off. Check them again in a couple weeks and get the ones that are missed or or that still look real strong. Good luck.

Do you know why they want you to use Sendero? Does it work better Mesquite than Remedy? It looks like it's more expensive.

Thanks.

Farmgirl said:
Echo,

Not what you asked but, why not do a basal treatment?
Less chemical is needed.

my 2 :2cents:
Farmgirl

I've read about basal treatment and am confused about how it ends up being less chemical. My understanding is that basal treatment is spraying the stem of the plant from the ground up to about 1 ft above the level of the ground, making sure the stem is coated on all sides. Is this correct?

For leaf spraying the recommendation is 1-2% Remedy solution. For basal treatment I've read that it needs to be a 15% Remedy solution for smaller plants and 25% Remedy solution if the plants are more than 1.5 inch diameter.

That's at least 7 to 15 time greater concentration of chemical for the basal treatment. Is the amount sprayed for basal treatment really so much less than leaf spraying that it works out to be less chemical overall?

Also, what I've read for basal treatment recommends mixing Remedy with diesel instead of water + surfactant. Is the diesel necessary or will water + surfactant work for basal treatment? My hand sprayer says the tubing isn't compatible with petroleum products. I'll need to get a different sprayer if I need to mix with diesel.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah Brute, not having the reclaim in the mix probably lowers your kill rate by 25%. I know every year is different due to weather and insects but to me the reclaim/remedy mix worked better than the Sendero. Two years ago the Sendero did not do a very good job on my plants. Last year was somewhat better but I modified the mix.

When I mentioned my disappointment to the Dow rep, he stated that it was a weather thing in 2017 and they were having problems all over the state. He told me to add about 1/2% Remedy to my Sendero to give it a little more kick so thats what I did last year.

I am about 95% complete now on this place with just some ongoing maintenance spraying. I still have a few where some growth is coming up from the roots through the dead stems but not many. Adding the Remedy to the Sendero seems to give a more complete kill.

They (Dow Chemical) want you to use Sendero because they claim it is a superior product to Remedy/Reclaim and have tests backed by A & M that prove it. They also want it because it is non-restrictive. You don't have to have a pesticide licensee.

It is also a new product that is patent protected where as Remedy and Reclaim are now off patent. If that matters???

My mix for mesquite foliage is 1% Sendero, 1/2% Remedy, 1/2% Surfactant. A lot of times I throw in some Tordon to help with other things like cactus.

Foliage spray is mostly for small multi trunked bushy type plants under 5' or so. Basal is generally for bigger tree type plants. Diesel needs to be used. Using Basal spray will kill grass where you over spray, foliage spray with water will not. They both have their place. I keep a cheap two gallon sprayer for basal spraying. Throw it in the burn pile when it gets nasty.

Since I am winding down my spraying, I use a 15 gallon sprayer on a old Honda rancher. It holds about as much as I want to do at one time and is not so heavy on the back of the Honda.

We sprayed a lot of country with remedy and diesel. It can get pricey though. Now I hand spray with Grazon Next.

I agree with BD on basil vs foliage. Big mesquite and huisatche are easy to kill with remedy and diesel. Smaller bushes are easier to do a foliage spray.

Latest posts