Redneck Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
I hear the term "redneck" cattle at the sale barn.

Its obvious why, they have red on their necks.

Is this a particular cross breed or is this a general term for all cattle that have rednecks?

Thanks.

bcox

bcox":3phxlnl9 said:
I hear the term "redneck" cattle at the sale barn.

Its obvious why, they have red on their necks.

Is this a particular cross breed or is this a general term for all cattle that have rednecks?

Thanks.

bcox

that's a new one on me.

Typically means a red baldie - or an animal like a black baldie only red instead of black.

RGV

In shorthorns, a redneck roan is a roan with a solid red neck. That's the only reference I've ever seen or heard for that. I could certainly be wrong....

I haven't ever heard of "redneck" cattle either.......round here if it is red with spots of white on it's face it's a mottle face...if it's all white like a baldy it's called a red white face.

Up here a redneck is a red baldie/whiteface the. For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't just call them a red whiteface or red baldie instead of a red neck!! But they call the herefords red whitefaces so I guess that is why. It can be confusing at times tho...

A "rednecker" is a red baldy without the white on the neck. Some folks, mistakenly, think that it indicates less Hereford influence.

dun

So it could be a hereford/angus cross that comes out a red baldie instead of black baldie?

Just to clearify for all of us "newbies", "hobby guys", I have read on these boards and I'm under the impression a redneck is a Hereford/Red Angus cross, producing a red body and white face with no white on the neck.

Just to clearify,
Alan

redneck cattle lay around the field drinkin beer and watchin nascar. jp

Keep in mind that these terms are used in certain geographic areas and are not national phrases. I still hear a lot of people say 'black with white face' - not necessarily using the word baldy. I think it really depends on the auction also, you'll hear a LOT of stuff at the auction.

I've heard the term used more with purebred Herefords. Herefords with no white on the crest and have the red connecting on the throat are generally called rednecked Herefords around here. Never heard the term used for red baldies, as almost all of them are rednecked.

redneck simply refers to a hereford with a fully red neck...may possibly be a hereford cross but it is as simple as it sounds...redneck...it has a red neck...some people prefer redneck herefords just for their looks

You know you're a reedneck when...............
Being a Hereford breeder--we use the "redneck" term all the time !!! To us it refers to an animal with red up it's neck and to the poll/face, sometimes even extending onto the face area.
No "featherneck" , we have lots of "rednecked" cattle --which are more come in the breed than they used to be. This is because people are trying to breed for more pigment. "Redneck" is not breed specific !! (not in my world anyhow) e.g. a red angus cross with a white face--but having the red extendin up the neck with very little or no feather could be a "redneck".

Up here the red neck term is used a lot. Its just a colorful name for a red baldy. Always they have herford influence, but covers many different crosses.

mnmt

~~

When the term "Redneck" cattle is used here in this area, it usually means cattle from a really really small gene pool.

The results of too many daughter to sire matings or brother to sisters, etc.

From owners too cheap, ignorant and miserable to switch bulls.

Latest posts