Red Shell Shocked

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Fire Sweep thought my Shell Shocked would be black. I am not so sure. I sold a bred heifer to Kentuckyguy and his Shell Shocked is red.

Here is a recent picture Kentuckyguy sent: Heifer.

This is mine: Bull.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
They both look terrific to me.

TT

You never know how they are going to develop but you get a pretty good idea. I am going to place my bets on this guy. Pictures from this morning. My Optimizer Bull out of Twister:

Hopefully my heifer grows out well. If she does my daughter will being showing her next year. She's very excited about it.

Some of the other calves from this morning. These are just opportunistic shots with a cell.

Cowboy Cut heifer out of one of my best cows. I fully plan on her being a keeper:

Optimizer Heifer. I think another keeper:

Very Docile:

Elevate Bull out of an Optimizer Cow.

This is a Shear Force cow. She is my straggler. Not due until the first of the year. She took on first AI but lost the pregnancy in early embryonic phase. Bred her back but she will be late.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
2 of my shell shocks were red. Same cow family, so I suppose they had the red gene.
No "suppose" about it. They each are carrying the red gene. Can't get a red calf unless it gets a red gene from sire AND dam. If both parents are black carrying a red gene - you have a 25% chance of getting a red calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
2 of my shell shocks were red. Same cow family, so I suppose they had the red gene.
No "suppose" about it. They each are carrying the red gene. Can't get a red calf unless it gets a red gene from sire AND dam. If both parents are black carrying a red gene - you have a 25% chance of getting a red calf.

Exactly. Both dam and sire are Heterozygous for the gene that expresses color. They each carry the RECESSIVE gene that expresses the red trait. When they mate, the progeny will have the following probabilities:

A 25 % probability for BB. Homozygous black.
A 50 % probability for Bb. Heterozygous black.
A 25 % probability for bb. Homozygous red.

image upload

Latest posts