Red Gene outcome

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3h4ak2zo said:
I don't know of the positive & negative aspect, but I do know that the Hereford whiteface & the Simmental whiteface are a dominant gene, but they are SEPERATE genes. Hereford gene is different than the Simmental - but both produce white faces. :shock:

they're also both dominant (not positive or negative) but have varying degrees of expressivity (similar to the belt of a belted galloway) which is why baldies can have bald faces, panda eyes, brockle faces or almost no white.

txag":6es1vxag said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":6es1vxag said:
I don't know of the positive & negative aspect, but I do know that the Hereford whiteface & the Simmental whiteface are a dominant gene, but they are SEPERATE genes. Hereford gene is different than the Simmental - but both produce white faces. :shock:

they're also both dominant (not positive or negative) but have varying degrees of expressivity (similar to the belt of a belted galloway) which is why baldies can have bald faces, panda eyes, brockle faces or almost no white.

The expressivity is why the face gene color was defined as positive negative and neutral. The reason it saeemed to make sense is because we have a couple of F1 red baldies that when we use one Red Angus bull we get white on the face and udder/scrotum another that when bred to the same cows doesn;t throw a single white hair anywhere. But I'm just a dumb ol country boy

dun

Dun we've had black Angus bulls do the same thing. Some 'stamp' their calves totally black no matter what they're bred to, others, the cow color does whatever it pleases. So, that makes sense with what you're saying about positive, negative, and neutral.

Cypress,

I was thinking about your original question and Jeanne's response too. If all your cows are homozygous black and you use a heterozygous bull the calves will all be BB or Bb. All calves will be black but some will have one red gene. If you keep heifers from that mating you should still be able to keep the offspring black if the next bull you use is homozygous black. Hope this makes sense.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl":1p2p9zwg said:
Cypress,

I was thinking about your original question and Jeanne's response too. If all your cows are homozygous black and you use a heterozygous bull the calves will all be BB or Bb. All calves will be black but some will have one red gene. If you keep heifers from that mating you should still be able to keep the offspring black if the next bull you use is homozygous black. Hope this makes sense.

Farmgirl

Yes it does, and most of what I have a brangus cows. I will probably stay with the "dark side" in bulls - angus, angusplus, brangus, and maybe simiangus.

I agree the color gene thing gets really screwy once you throw in all the factors. As for the original case i would guess that the calfs parentage is in question. What would you think if your wife had a black kid? Although on the other hand we really don't know much about the gene mapping on animals yet nor people i guess. There could be exceptions due to epistasis, but i would call that highly unlikely. Its funny how qualitative traits can actually be rather complex when all variables are put in.

Latest posts