Red Fox Hunting (bragging)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
One summer i smote seven red fox with a 12 gauge shotgun. Yall know how close you have to be to get them with a shotgun. Anyway there were alot of Fox and i was always outdoors with my gun. I could have gotten alot more if i would have been packing a rifle but.... I did catch a kit that year also and my plan was to make it into a pet and use it to hunt women. The problem came when i looked at it up close and it was the ugliest little critter around. Baby cottontail works better for hunting women.

Mange came through two years later and we haven't seen a fox since.

I got a grey fox kit once. It was probably two weeks old and eyes were still closed. Didn't really know what it was at the time just knew it wasn't a dog. Dropper fed it and for four years she was a wonderful pet. Lived in house and she sure did like Capt Crunch for breakfast. :lol:

i caught mine by dumping water in the hole out they came. It only took two buckets and the water was in the ditch less than 5 feet away. Mine were older and didn't much care for being caught. I caught an owl chick once it was real mean.

Caught a red Tailed Hawk once, it had a broken wing. Took it to a Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center where it was rehabed and released back into the wild. I would love to have a Fox as a pet.

I would love to have a coyote pup. Them coyotes are smart varmints and I am sure it could be taught some neat stuff......Had a coon as a kid and some squirrels. Squirrels were nice when they were sleeping up under your shirt but as soon as something startled them it felt like a weed eater being run up your chest or back.

Coons were just too smart and you could never keep them out of anything especially if they observed you opening something.

HOSS":1z5i0403 said:
I would love to have a coyote pup. Them coyotes are smart varmints and I am sure it could be taught some neat stuff......Had a coon as a kid and some squirrels. Squirrels were nice when they were sleeping up under your shirt but as soon as something startled them it felt like a weed eater being run up your chest or back.

Coons were just too smart and you could never keep them out of anything especially if they observed you opening something.

I'm on a tangent here and don't mean to high-jack but am curious if anyone read the article about the professor in South Carolina who noticed dogs around the dumpsters and caught a few and carried them home to study them. He was puzzled how they and their pups could do so well near highways and not get run over. He found - what he thinks - is the species of dogs that belonged to the native americans cause all the females dig dens underground to have their litters in. Said they are extremely smart like a fox but were also dog like.

I would love to have a pet fox - that woul be so awesome! Joo what happen to yours after 4 yrs? I had a chance to have a skunk baby that didn't have it's eyes open yet but I decided a skunk probably wouldn't make a good house pet :shock:

My Dad used to feed 5 red foxes out by his place near a lake. They would come up every evening about dark, and he would feed them purina dog food. They became somewhat tame, and didnt mind him standing out there while they ate. beautiful creatures.

My wife feeds a bunch of stray cats down at the barn and the foxes (4-5) come up to eat with them almost every day.

They eat out of the same pan together.

Needless to say, I don't have a rat problem. :roll:

sidney411":qa83jyhm said:
I decided a skunk probably wouldn't make a good house pet :shock:
My uncle found some baby skunks once and decented them and gave them to me. They made nice house pets, kinda like cats. We riased a baby squirrel too. We would leave the window open, and he came and went as he pleased.

sidney411":3lm7rnp7 said:
I would love to have a pet fox - that woul be so awesome! Joo what happen to yours after 4 yrs? I had a chance to have a skunk baby that didn't have it's eyes open yet but I decided a skunk probably wouldn't make a good house pet :shock:

Even though we "fixed her", the wild kept coming out in her and she would roam further and further from the house. Most eveyone's dogs knew who she was since she would play with them. Unfortuantely she roamed too far one day and unfortunately she met a hunting dog. The dog ran at her and of course she ran at him to play. Dog wasn't playing though. The dog died the next week in a freak accident - and no, I didn't have anything to do with it but I will admit I didn't cry.

Here is a painting of her. Her name was Sassafras aka Sassy

IMG_1761.jpg

Wow that's really neat. Thanks for sharing that painting. I guess I should have tried keeping one of those skunks - it sure would have been an interesting pet, I didn't know about the de-skunking thing though.

sidney411":35a9s56t said:
Wow that's really neat. Thanks for sharing that painting. I guess I should have tried keeping one of those skunks - it sure would have been an interesting pet, I didn't know about the de-skunking thing though.

I've had three skunks. Even after demusking them they still smell. Bout like a ferret. They are also prone to turn mean for some reason. I guess the wild is very strong in them. I had a big female once. She was real nice then one day she bit the tar out of me for no apparant reason and man do they pack a punch.

I hope I can get another baby fox - especially a grey. They are wonderful. Kinda like a dog and a cat mixed together. She was always getting into something. She loved to watch tennis too. She would walk a mile to some tennis courts and sit at center court and watch the ball go back and forth for hours. She also had a tendency to hop in anyone's car that would take her for a ride too. She loved that. I could go on for hours with stories about her. She was truly unique.

If i find a den of Fox kits this spring i'll put one in a box and mail it to you. We only have red Fox around here though. You can catch your own skunks, i'm to old to try that crap again. By to old i mean married and my wife is very unforgiving of me smelling like whatever critter i've been in proximity with.

lilmac":3r2iwke2 said:
Just wondering, can a fox be house broke like a dog.
Mac

My gray was as easy to break as a cat. Extremely smart animals. She learned to do tricks - when she wanted to. At other times she was cat like. Had two red foxes too. Never could do too much with them but I also got them when they were a little older.

lilmac":uhof3nnb said:
Soooo did she use a litter box in the house, or go to the door??
Mac

She went on paper first but she would use a litter box also. But we took the paper and moved it to the door. Once there we kept sliding a portion of it under the door until she would scratch at the paper trying to get it in the door and then we let her out. This took all of two weeks to train her to go to the door. Very easy to train. But then again, I think she was smart enough to train us too. ;-) We all miss her.

You turned my Red Fox hunting post into a sales pitch about what great pets they make. What the Heck! Now its a How to housebreak post. Next time i shoot a fox i might feel kind of bad. I'll sit there and think how you guys could have housebroke it and taught it dance or whatever.

Sorry about that but didn't seem much more could be said about the number of foxes you killed and you did mention that you caught a kit that same year and was going to use it for wimmen huntin so was kinda wondering how yours turned out other than it wasn't any good for wimmen hunting.

Latest posts