red calf

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I went to the barn tonite and found a red calf. The mother is a black simmental and the sire is a black angus, now if I understand this both the mother and the father would both have to have a red gene to get a red calf.Am I correct?

You are correct. So the "angus" is a red carrier as well as the cow

dun":1rwu3mg8 said:
You are correct. So the "angus" is a red carrier as well as the cow

Well I have two bulls and when I checked the records it looks like she got bred after I got rid of the angus bull. My other bull is a sim angus which would be more likly. :nod:

c farmer":1qvw8wg5 said:
I went to the barn tonite and found a red calf. The mother is a black simmental and the sire is a black angus, now if I understand this both the mother and the father would both have to have a red gene to get a red calf.Am I correct?

Simmental's are not black they are red and white, You just bought watered down Angus genetics.
But you are right about two red recessive genes.

c farmer":2vc3fll7 said:
Yes sir.........show us a pic of this calf and her mom and dad if you can!

Caustic Burno":1hrb4tma said:
c farmer":1hrb4tma said:

Simmental's are not black they are red and white, You just bought watered down Angus genetics.
How come all Simmi are red or white?

He didn't say Red OR White. He said Red AND White. Cuz that what color they were when they arrived here from Europe.

I can see where this is going to be another one of those threads that eventually starts to read like an interview for the Village Idiot job.

We have a calf or two born every year that looks pretty red or brown at birth but will blacken as it matures. It happens. Seems like it's the blackest mamas that have the off-color calves, too.

farmwriter":1d7wcwqh said:
We have a calf or two born every year that looks pretty red or brown at birth but will blacken as it matures. It happens. Seems like it's the blackest mamas that have the off-color calves, too.

This is a red calf not a red tint, but I guess I will see later on.

ga. prime":fantf478 said:
:lol2: - village idiot job-- :lol2: :lol2: . Lot of competition for that position.

That stinks . . . didn't even know I was being replaced. You'd think they'd have the decency to tell me so I don't learn about it on the internet.

We had a registered Hereford cow that was very close marked. Bred her to a Red Angus and got a heifer with hardly any white on her belly or legs and goggle eyes. Bred that heifer to Red Angus and not a single one of her calves ever had a white hair on them anywhere. Decided I wanted a bit more chrome so I bred her to a Hereford. The calf (a heifer) looks more like a Hereford then most Herefords, tons of chrome. Her bred to a Red Angus we still get a lot of chrome on the calves, way more then her great grandmother had.

angus9259":3jl3erb7 said:
I had an F1 baldy bred AI to a registered angus bull and got what could have passed for a full blood hereford heifer.

Here's her picture with her momma looking on . . .

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... g&newest=1

Hubby had black baldy cow (1/2 holstein and 1/2 hereford) bred to black angus bull (he was solid black) and the result was very much like your calf. This cow is now a 6 y/o and is the one who weighs 1450 lbs. (first calf was a black baldy, 2nd calf was solid black, 3rd was set of solid red twin heifers out of red poll, and this years calf is solid black out of galloway bull)......... strange how that works, one would think all her calves would have some white on them somewhere.

I had a BWF and a RWF cow. Each bred to a red limo. BWF had a RWF calf, RWF had a BWF calf. People would see the calves nursing their moms and think that the calves had gotten confused and nursed the wrong momma. Kinda neat how that turned out.

Caustic Burno":2mwxhetb said:
c farmer":2mwxhetb said:

You mean you got improved Angus genetics. :D If you wanna get picky the majority of Simmental cattle where YELLOW and white speckled up cattle originally. The choice of some breeders to "breed up" from grade, and also to change the colour pattern (purely cosmetic) doesn't change what the breed can do.

As for the red being recessive and needing to come from both parents you are right.

This is for angus 9259
Take a look at the cow. You said she was a F1 Most baldy come from the angus and hereford cross . Just because a angus is black he is not going cover some red. The red gene was stronger in this cow

Latest posts