Red Brangus (3/4 Red Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
169.JPG

3 quarter red angus
pictures of calves were taken with phone.
I will try and get some recent ones of the calves I still have.

1721.JPG

170.JPG

downsized_0530001650.jpg

downsized_0530001655a.jpg

downsized_0530001655b.jpg

Good deal. You'll get your money back with those. I raise brafords here in LA, some full bred, some crossed to black angus. Mostly just breed to what I can scratch up for cows. You got it, and the bull looks good.

I will see if I can get a better picture. The picture before i uploaded looks alot better. And the bull is a lot thicker in person.

ANAZAZI":cz4wf9mn said:
Not so fond of the bull, the yellow cow looks great and calves are nice.
Thanks the yellow cow is one of my favorites. She had her first calf last year and rejected it. It was two weeks before school got out. And the farm is about 2 and a half hours away. My cousin raised the calffor those two weeks. And when school got out, the cow still had some milk. I brought her to a pen closer to the house and let the calf nurse her. Everytime she kicked i hit her with a stick. After the end of the week she took the calf back.

ALACOWMAN":1g7q3vkc said:
ANAZAZI":1g7q3vkc said:
the yellow cows udder and teats, will be her undoing.. most likely will not make it long enough to pay for herself

One thing is the picture doesnt show her udder structure accurately. She has a large udder. But her teats are moderate in size and the teat placement is there in my opinion.

BRAFORDMAN":1h264e5u said:
ALACOWMAN":1h264e5u said:
ANAZAZI":1h264e5u said:
the yellow cows udder and teats, will be her undoing.. most likely will not make it long enough to pay for herself

One thing is the picture doesnt show her udder structure accurately. She has a large udder. But her teats are moderate in size and the teat placement is there in my opinion.

I'm always interested in udders. Wonder if you could post a better photo of her udder from a couple angles.

I'm always interested in udders. Wonder if you could post a better photo of her udder from a couple angles.[/quote]

Well this pic was taken in march.
The calf is no longer on her and she is dry.
I will get a pic of her dry and when she calves around Deember ill take another.
I will post some of my cows udders who still have calves on them.
My main focus in a cow is a cow that can raise a heavy calf and maintain her body condition.
I love heavy mikers. If the cow can keep milk heavy during the time she has a calf and maintain her body condition she is a great cow.

My dad has a Braford Cross bull that my dad uses. Most of y cows are sired by him. He puts good udders and lots of milk.
Having first calvers milk like dairy cows in the first couple of weeks of calving gives the calf a boost.

BRAFORDMAN":2g33m55r said:
I'm always interested in udders. Wonder if you could post a better photo of her udder from a couple angles.

I will get a pic of her dry and when she calves around Deember ill take another.
My main focus in a cow is a cow that can raise a heavy calf and maintain her body condition.
I love heavy mikers. If the cow can keep milk heavy during the time she has a calf and maintain her body condition she is a great cow.

My dad has a Braford Cross bull that my dad uses. Most of y cows are sired by him. He puts good udders and lots of milk.
Having first calvers milk like dairy cows in the first couple of weeks of calving gives the calf a boost.[/quote] yep..... but you pay a big price for those heavy milkers.... been there,, plus it not the quantity its the quaility the new born dont really need excessive amounts it cant handle

ALACOWMAN":1u5xlxu3 said:
BRAFORDMAN":1u5xlxu3 said:

Having first calvers milk like dairy cows in the first couple of weeks of calving gives the calf a boost.[/quote] yep..... but you pay a big price for those heavy milkers.... been there,, plus it not the quantity its the quaility the new born dont really need excessive amounts it cant handle

Yea. Well yea you dont wont somthing that a newborn can't handle but if a cow keeps that heavy bag while the calf is growing and the calf can handle it when its older then it can benefit.
I think it just depends on the cow and her genetics. Some cows milk heavy but the udder will breakdown over time. And others milk heavy and have nice enough udder structure that will last.
When you said pay a heavy price, are you talking about the effects heavy milk we have on the cows udder?

I did some reading around the internet. As you'll read below, a cow needs to be milked out to prevent mastitis. A calf won't need to use all quarters of a higher producing cow, therefore higher risk of mastitis. Also if teats are larger a calf will have more trouble sucking on them. Larger udders also have more risk of injury and exposure to muck leading to higher risk of mastitis or calf illness.

http://www.beef-cattle.com/beef-cow-udder-selection.htm
Beef cows with a poor udder should be considered one of the major management challenges for any beef cattle operation, especially true for seedstock producers. Your commercial customers for sure will not have nor want to acquire the needed labor to manage cows that need to have extra "Milk Outs" of one or more quarters until her calf grows big enough to handle the job. And as you might expect this extra "Milk Out" either by humans or the calf can play an important role in preventing mastitis. Even a mild case of mastitis is unwanted and may cause a reduction in the calf weaning weight of 12.5%.
Bad udders that include oversized teats that did not get milked out have been known to cause as many as 17.5% of the cows to acquire some form of mastitis. In addition to mastitis the bad looking udders and teats are always a possibility for contributing to an increase in the calf getting sick if the teats get contaminated with mud or other cowlot debris.

I was curious when you described your cow's teats as "moderate" in size. I believe compared to the illustrations in the site below, they'd be considered large.
http://www.beef-cattle.com/beef-cow-udd ... -score.htm

I consider them moderate size compared too some teats i have seen.
Her calves do not have trouble nursing and her bag does go down after a month.
The problem about the udders may become injured depends alot on the land. If your pasture has alot of weeds the udder may become scratched and can cause infection. The pasture she is in is flat and there are not many weeds there. The size of your cows udder depends on your preference and what type of land you have. This is just my opinion.

Having first calvers milk like dairy cows in the first couple of weeks of calving gives the calf a boost.[/quote] yep..... but you pay a big price for those heavy milkers.... been there,, plus it not the quantity its the quaility the new born dont really need excessive amounts it cant handle[/quote]

Yea. Well yea you dont wont somthing that a newborn can't handle but if a cow keeps that heavy bag while the calf is growing and the calf can handle it when its older then it can benefit.
I think it just depends on the cow and her genetics. Some cows milk heavy but the udder will breakdown over time. And others milk heavy and have nice enough udder structure that will last.
When you said pay a heavy price, are you talking about the effects heavy milk we have on the cows udder?[/quote] and the cow,, but new borns are bad to nurse one quarter ""the easiest"" mean while those bigger teats just get bigger and bigger

Keep in mind that udde size typically has very little to do with the amount of milk produced, especially in beef cattle. Some cattle just have larger udders than others and still don't produce a lot of milk. Should ring a bell with all of us. ;-)

TexasBred":g6krgu0r said:
Keep in mind that udde size typically has very little to do with the amount of milk produced, especially in beef cattle. Some cattle just have larger udders than others and still don't produce a lot of milk. Should ring a bell with all of us. ;-)

I agree.