Red baldys

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
I read an article a year or so ago about an outfit down by Victoria that was raising Red Baldys out of hereford cows and Red Brangus bulls. I think it said they were then crossing those cows on Gert bulls. There were some pictures of the cows but I don't remember seeing any of calves. I liked the look of the cows but was wondering what the second cross would do. Any thoughts?Z

I talked to a man out of south Texas 2 years ago at the A&M short course. He ran a three breed rotation of Gerts, Hereford, and Red Angus. He sent everything that wasn't retained as heifers to a feed yard in Nebraska. He said that was the best combination he has ever had. Great mommas and great carcasses.

If that is as stupid as you get then you are doing better than me. ;-)

Thanks.. I like both the Brangus and the Gerts. I admit I am not a big hereford fan. I guess what I'm getting at is how do these second cross calves that have got to have a little more ear on them stack up at the sale barn?

I worked on a ranch in NM where we had Braham bulls on Hereford cows. The heifers we kept were then crossed on Gert bulls the owner had bought straight off the King Ranch. All the steers and what heifers we didn't keep and all the second cross calves went to the owners stocker/feeder operation down at El Paso so I never really knew what they were worth.Z

Latest posts