Red Angus Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

ebrown512

Reaction score
We have started collect a few red angus to help in our Durham Red Program.

Red_Angus_bull.jpg

This was taken May 12th and she is still nursing her October 05 heifer calf.

Queen.jpg

ebrown512":36w4e19q said:

]
How will the Red Angus help your Durham Red program

la4angus":21c0goxi said:
ebrown512":21c0goxi said:

]

i think RA + SH = DR

Aero":35083n7s said:
la4angus":35083n7s said:
ebrown512":35083n7s said:

]

i think RA + SH = DR

Yes. According to the ASA, Durham Reds can be from 25% to 75% Shorthorn with the remainder being Red Angus. They have to be out of a registered Shorthorn bull or registered Red Durham cow. It's an attempt to get more Shorthorn influence into commercial herds. Sounds like a good cross to me.

All the calves under our Durham Red photos are out of a RA bull and shorthorn cows. We like the red angus for lower birth weights, moderate frame, fleshing ability and maintaning body weight.

ebrown512":3p8ieed2 said:
All the calves under our Durham Red photos are out of a RA bull and shorthorn cows. We like the red angus for lower birth weights, moderate frame, fleshing ability and maintaning body weight.
ebrown512- Is your program essentially designed for terminal calves, or are you preparing for a three-way crossbreeding program for increased Heterosis? If so - what Breed do you have in mind for the F2 cross? Are you planning to keep Donors for the eventual "Improved Crossbred Dams" portion of the plan? The reason I ask is - Red Angus and Durham Red (Shorthorn) are BOTH British lines, and a Continental added to the 3-way cross increases Phenotype and Genotype - assuming you are using optimum genetics throughout.

Your pictured RA cow is EXCELLENT!

DOC HARRIS

Just to clarify, a Durham Red is not a purebred Shorthorn. It is a composite of Shorthorn and Red Angus. Durham is the old name for Shorthorn hence the name Durham Red for this "new breed." For more information go to http://www.shorthorn.org. Click on Programs and then again on Durham Red.

Just to clarify, a Durham Red is not a purebred Shorthorn. It is a composite of Shorthorn and Red Angus. Durham is the old name for Shorthorn hence the name Durham Red for this "new breed." For more information go to http://www.shorthorn.org. Click on Programs and then again on Durham Red.
I am well aware of this fact. I was merely making a point regarding British and Continental Breeds.

DOC HARRIS

shorthorn x gelbvieh makes a better cow.

or shorthorn x limousin, charolaise x shorthorn ;-)

you then cross Angus over these cows for high growth, high yeald calves. :)

DOC HARRIS":5difmy91 said:
I am well aware of this fact. I was merely making a point regarding British and Continental Breeds.

DOC HARRIS

DOC- My post was not specifically aimed at you. Was just trying to clear up some possible misconceptions about Durham Reds, since they are a new concoction and most seem to be unfamiliar with them. Perhaps someday the term will be as familiar as Balancer, LimFlex, etc. Perhaps not.

VanC-That's okay! There are getting to be so many different "Mix and Match" combinations recently that you need a program to keep track of the players! I think that the Durham Red composite has a VERY good opportunity to help the Shorthorn Breeders enhance the dominant traits in the mix and bring a new player into the "Playoffs". Whatever WORKS!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":352n84pd said:
VanC-That's okay! There are getting to be so many different "Mix and Match" combinations recently that you need a program to keep track of the players! I think that the Durham Red composite has a VERY good opportunity to help the Shorthorn Breeders enhance the dominant traits in the mix and bring a new player into the "Playoffs". Whatever WORKS!

DOC HARRIS

I agree. Going to take some serious marketing, though. Hard to get people to try something different if they are happy with what they're doing now.

VanC":ta4msq47 said:
DOC HARRIS":ta4msq47 said:

DOC HARRIS

I agree. Going to take some serious marketing, though. Hard to get people to try something different if they are happy with what they're doing now.

The only reason we haven't tried Shorthorn on our Red Angus is because of the polluted Shorthorn gene(cess) pool.

dun

I have to agree with Frankie on this cow. She is real nice after having nursed over 7 mo. That is a real nice calf in the 1st pic too.

Dun, I understand your sentiments about the gene pool. We've been at the Shorthorn deal for about 13 years and I still get frustrated at times. However people are working on it. I beleive there is a place for good clean SH genetics and the breeders that are reputable and reliable will benefit in time. We are having our whole herd TH tested and will take the appropriate steps.

Frankie":lbq3jj2o said:
Nice cow. Interesting critters in the background. :)
Yeah!!! When I first noticed them , I thought that one looked like a white Loch Ness Monster! but then I looked again. . . . And realized that it was the recently discovered and very rare "Cliftontex LLama-ness Beastie". Quite an accomplishment to capture two unusual specimens in the same photogrtaph!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts