Red Angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Chiolis Ranch

Reaction score
If you were running a predominantly Red Angus cowherd, what would your bull of choice be? I tend to like either a Simm, or Charolais bull for a terminal cross. Just curious what everyone else would do.

kenny thomas said:
According to the area your in but it's hard to beat the Charolais cross in many areas. If using Simmy make sure it is homozygous black

Why not a red one?

kenny thomas said:
According to the area your in but it's hard to beat the Charolais cross in many areas. If using Simmy make sure it is homozygous black

No, No, No, you've got it backwards. Put a Red bull on and know you'll have pretty cows. :lol:

gcreekrch said:
kenny thomas said:

Why not a red one?
Can't argue with red if in the areas that red sells. Much of the US discounts red as much as .20 or more.

kenny thomas said:
gcreekrch said:
kenny thomas said:

Why not a red one?
Can't argue with red if in the areas that red sells. Much of the US discounts red as much as .20 or more.

My steers usually sell about even with the black calves that go through. Heifers usually sell a dime higher than the rest. Char crosses sell like hotcakes, and Herefords... they tend to take a beating.

Black or Red Simmi would be the way to go..And if me it would be a black or red Simbrah.

Good terminal and better maternal IMO.

Depending on how your location is would determine the type of terminal sire breed. I think it's hard to beat a Charolais for growth but there's also a calving ease factor to watch for too that night negate the extra pounds. I like red limousins better than black ones but with red cows that may not work for the market preference. If it's black hide preference market then a black Simmental or Limousin may be the way to go.

Son of Butch said:
Chiolis Ranch said:
My Char crosses sell like hotcakes
There's your answer and I wouldn't change what you're already doing.

This will be my first year selling any Char cross calves. I was just saying, that as a rule of thumb they sell well here. We'll see how they work for me.

Ky hills said:
Depending on how your location is would determine the type of terminal sire breed. I think it's hard to beat a Charolais for growth but there's also a calving ease factor to watch for too that night negate the extra pounds. I like red limousins better than black ones but with red cows that may not work for the market preference. If it's black hide preference market then a black Simmental or Limousin may be the way to go.

I don't know much of anything about Limousin cattle. They aren't very popular around here though. Simmental, and Charolais tend to be your best bet for terminal calves.

Chiolis Ranch said:
Son of Butch said:
Chiolis Ranch said:
My Char crosses sell like hotcakes

This will be my first year selling any Char cross calves. I was just saying, that as a rule of thumb they sell well here. We'll see how they work for me.
we have red angus cows and this year bought a hereford bull. thought about charolais but concerned about calving ease.

have you had any problems calving with red angus mamas and a charolais bull?

would you mind sending some pics of the red angus/charolais cross calves?

thanks

ccr said:
Chiolis Ranch said:
Son of Butch said:

we have red angus cows and this year bought a hereford bull. thought about charolais but concerned about calving ease.

have you had any problems calving with red angus mamas and a charolais bull?

would you mind sending some pics of the red angus/charolais cross calves?

thanks

I only have a few this year. They came with some cows I bought, and i liked them. I've been thinking about this cross for a couple years though. Next year I have a couple Charolais pulls lined up. The calving ease aspect of it is yet to be seen. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, and see if I can figure out how to post them.

Horned Herefords on Red Angus sell the best around here. They sell like hot cakes. Have seen several pairs sell for 2,400. Char and Simmi crosses are docked.

elkwc said:
Horned Herefords on Red Angus sell the best around here. They sell like hot cakes. Have seen several pairs sell for 2,400. Char and Simmi crosses are docked.
that sounds good, what's your location? we are trying hereford/red angus for next years calves.

ccr said:
elkwc said:
that sounds good, what's your location? we are trying hereford/red angus for next years calves.

West central OK

Where is our OP located? Just because something is docked in one area does not mean it is all over.
For the best heterosis (crossbred) affect, Continental breed should be used on a British (RA) breed. The Simmental breed is easier calving than the Hereford or Charolais (based on MARC research).

Latest posts