Record July rainfall

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
We had 12.70" of rain during July. All time record for July. Normal is about 4.50. Had another 3/4 in today.
Grass is plentiful and so is hay. Only thing not here are enough cattle. Very low numbers selling.

AC heard that last week West Plains and another big barn had to turn away cattle because pens were full. I have been hearing smaller barns were doing that but W P is huge. Seems a good cattle trader with plenty of grass and hay would be filling pastures up.

kenny thomas":1hrjf4py said:
We had 12.70" of rain during July. All time record for July. Normal is about 4.50. Had another 3/4 in today.
Grass is plentiful and so is hay. Only thing not here are enough cattle. Very low numbers selling.
With that new depression in the Atlantic you might get some this month too!/! Want to buy some cows? :)

We had record July rainfall too. The driest july since they started keeping records.

jedstivers":k8ah37wn said:
AC heard that last week West Plains and another big barn had to turn away cattle because pens were full. I have been hearing smaller barns were doing that but W P is huge. Seems a good cattle trader with plenty of grass and hay would be filling pastures up.

We contacted the guy over the market at Searcy, AR and he was suppose to buy us a few loads of cows. But then he said they were too high. Seems he didnt want them coming east.

Maybe one of the wettest July here too, but it was badly needed and you can barely see it was rainy just 2 days into August. It's turning very dry very quickly.
Maybe a repeat of Aug 2011--every day but 1 over 100 deg?

jedstivers":zwqj7fjd said:

I had heard that too about West Plains. On a different I heard that a sale barn around here was going to have a horse sale one night last week and when the employees got to the barn there were already 16 head tied up outside with a note saying sell them and keep the money. The people didn't have the money for this high priced hay. People are begging for hay on Craigslist around central MO. Even if a neighbor would like to help them out and not gouge them in this drought they need it for their own animals.

Next Monday we have a 30% chance of rain and it will cool off to a 100 degree high.

There's hope!

Our July rainfall was down about 5 inches.. not good. Temps are running the highest in the country around here ...114 F yesterday... Even hotter than Death Valley!! :shock: Ready for August to pass by and get some September rains in here.

Th is is the first month in over 60 years that i can remember with no rain in the month! :(

mwj":3rqf464a said:
Th is is the first month in over 60 years that i can remember with no rain in the month! :(
You have been lucky till now, I'm 43 and remember several years of 60,80 or even 103 days without a rain. And we average 52" a year, we go that long without one it gets nasty.

kenny thomas":4uufl7dj said:

Sorry....will take 4-5 months of no rain to average that out.... :shock:

jedstivers":xm2ujhcl said:
mwj":xm2ujhcl said:
You have been lucky till now, I'm 43 and remember several years of 60,80 or even 103 days without a rain. And we average 52" a year, we go that long without one it gets nasty.

WE HAVE BROKEN THE DRY SPELL!!!!!!!! About 2 this morning we received almost 3/10 of welcome rain after a 6 week dry spell.

mwj":vg7ijaq8 said:
jedstivers":vg7ijaq8 said:
mwj":vg7ijaq8 said:

WE HAVE BROKEN THE DRY SPELL!!!!!!!! About 2 this morning we received almost 3/10 of welcome rain after a 6 week dry spell.

We got just over an inch here.

Had a few showers in the area about 4pm....they are gone but the temp is hovering around 79f now. :D

Latest posts