Reckon what cross she is?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This my oldest cow, she was bought as a 500 lb heifer in a group of heifers at a Hereford influence sale, atleast 12 years ago.
She has been a consistent breeder and one of the first every year to calve until last year she lost a little time and calves in March or April. Then did not get bred back very early last year so she may be a fall calver.
She came in a group of crossbred heifers with at least one braford type in the group. Calves are comingled so they can be from several different consignors.
I've always figured she had some longhorn in her. She's big framed kind of rangy, one you don't mess with when she's got a young calf.
Several of her calves have been brindle both red and black ones. One calf by a that wasn't brindle.
Cow had been dehorned, prior to purchase.
The horned cow is one of her daughters by a registered heterozygous polled Hereford bull.

6E8530A4-E642-4A68-B108-A0749A685FDE.jpeg
C83378CD-7D35-4186-807D-F81D4CBCC317.jpeg

I had one like that too. Always thought it was LH cross also. I got a heifer out of here that was brindle and had those little horns but it was out of a reg Black Angus bull.

When I bred that daughter to a Black Angus it gave these deep maroon calves.

When I bred the daughter to a polled Hereford I got a deep red heifer with spackled up white on her face.

What ever she was, her genetics were strong because BA bulls could not paint the calves black or knock the horns off.

I had one like that too. Always thought it was LH cross also. I got a heifer out of here that was brindle and had those little horns but it was out of a reg Black Angus bull.

When I bred that daughter to a Black Angus it gave these deep maroon calves.

When I bred the daughter to a polled Hereford I got a deep red heifer with spackled up white on her face.

What ever she was, her genetics were strong because BA bulls could not paint the calves black or knock the horns off.
I kept a black mottled faced heifer from her and a registered black Angus bull she is polled but has red brindle down her back.
Once from a Hereford bull she had a calf with a lot of white and the Hereford white neck stripe went all the way along her back almost to her tail. That particular calf showed a lankiness after a year or so of age that got me to thinking there was longhorn in the cow.

This is her last years 13 month old steer calf, going to use him for a beef this fall.View attachment 43983
Well, whatever breed(s) she is, she seems to produce some nice calves. I know your bulls play a part in that, too, but the old gal looks like she does a good job for you. Do you have a homozygous black bull? Would be interesting to see what a calf by him would be like.

Well, whatever breed(s) she is, she seems to produce some nice calves. I know your bulls play a part in that, too, but the old gal looks like she does a good job for you. Do you have a homozygous black bull? Would be interesting to see what a calf by him would be like.
She has in the past been bred to registered black Angus bulls some AI and she typically has a black or very dark but a brownish tint. She has even had one black calf mottled face and white on udder and flank with sone red brindle from an Angus.

The funny thing is this cow was purchased through a Hereford influence sale that is supposed to be just for calves with 50% or more white face and only British breeding. In the group she was in there was an obvious braford too.
I didn't mind they both made great cows but they didn't grade them correctly.

Here's a daughter of the cow out of one of my registered Angus bulls AAA 18757215
7C89A727-2EAC-4264-BD30-D097077AF64F.jpeg4E2A5D22-9F22-4BF5-B0CE-0366E4C474B3.jpeg393A6FC5-32CF-45D9-8C41-775C67CAD904.jpeg

Latest posts