2003 Dodge Ram 3500 1-Ton
Dual rears (of course)
"Quad Cab" four door
Cummins 24V Turbo Diesel
Automatic transmission
Power everthing (windows, locks, etc)
New-looking, but plain-jane flatbed made by "CM Trailers"
144K Miles

The only thing I could see wrong was that it had a little bit of paint damage and a light dent in the driver's door, and I wouldn't be surprised if the flatbed was added on account of the OEM sheetmetal bed having been trashed or crashed..

Price -- $18,900

This particular dealer seems to be a "stack'em deep, sell'em cheap" kind of place where they deal almost exclusively in 3/4-ton trucks or bigger.. They don't really do trade-ins unless they actually want your current vehicle (most times they don't), they don't arrange financing, and they won't really work on their prices very much.. It's a non-typical, but seemingly no-nonsense approach, and it must work since they've been doing business this way for about 21 years. Their lot turns over pretty quick.

Anyway, is this one worth a closer look, or does it strike you guys as just an average deal?

Go to Kelly Blue book and NADA.com and look at the prices and compare, chances are they will be close. Probally a few thousand over, do a little research on that truck, Title search for damages (flood, wreck fire, etc...) and then get a good mechanic to look it over for a second soundness check (always a subjective process) There is a place like that near where I am and they usually have good quality vehicles as they are filling a niche market, but as for your question as to whether that is a good deal or not noone can answer that one for you, what I usually say when asked this is "do you feel like you got the shaft, did you want it, answere these and you have whether you are getting a good deal or not. As my criteria for that same deal is different than anyone elses's....But most of all do your research...Good Luck :D

id say that truck is worth $17000.from the way you talk about the ding in the door.the auto tranny isnt bad.i know a guy that had 4 speed an he blew 4 clutches back to back.then he traded that truck for a 3500 auto tranny an hasnt had any trouble as far as i know.an he puts 50,000 mi a year on 1 tons.

Just amazes me that these high mileage truck are selling this high.

Would this dealer be in Frankfort? Just thought I may know the one your talking about?

tom4018 said:
Just amazes me that these high mileage truck are selling this high.

Same here.

My nephew bought a used truck, same year as the one mentioned, all power, but standard......the price was about that much.

Good luck

I'd take a pass on that. A lot of miles in a few years and there's no way to know how it was maintained. I always wonder - if the truck is good - why is it on a used lot?
You need to head North to find good deals on used, heavy duty trucks.

Those lots sometimes buy fleet or construction trucks and fix them up. Thats why they dont want a trade and they dont deal much. Fleet sales that truck might have sold for 8 to 10 they took it in patched up, cleared codes, cleaned put a bed on and detailed.
Most drivers love the cummins diesel and will tolerate the problems that pop up in order to drive this powerful RAM.
I always go with the edmunds.com values. Its amazing how overpriced some trucks are and they sell.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, gang.. I've got entirely too much on my plate right now.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input.. At the end of the day, I decided I'd rather have the money than the truck, and considering I didn't actually have the money anyway, it sorta became a no-brainer.. :lol: That is to say, when it comes right down to it, I definitely didn't want the debt..

BTW, tom4018 get's the "Astute Observer" award for knowing precisely the truck I was eyeballing. Small world, huh?