Recent storm and lightning shots

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I know I haven't been posting pictures in a while, but here goes.

DSCF1077.jpg

Really nasty storm that rolled through. This storm (on Aug 16) actually produced two tornadoes: one just a few miles north and west of us, and another one north of the town of Westlock. According to the local newspaper, the one north of us wrecked a man's house and caused one injury when a wall fell on top of someone.

DSCF1162-1.jpg

DSCF1163.jpg

This one is of another earlier supercell (taken on July 31) that I swear produced a small tornado just north-west of the house, and from the dust in the second shot, it was right in our field/pasture. This same storm produced another tornado north-west of us as well, but only a small one, and another funnel cloud that I actually watched transform (without the help of a camera :mad: ) just outside the upstairs west-bedroom window. But these two shots still scare me, but fortunately this funnel cloud I snapped was very short-lived, so there was no need to go hide in the basement. But still... :help: :shock:

Now for some lightning shots I got last night (my camera, on the contunious long-period shooting, only shoots 1.4 fps, so I only got 1/10 of the shots I would've loved to get):
DSCF1162.jpg

Cloud-to-cloud, but picture didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to.

DSCF1976.jpg

This one was like looking into a welding light

DSCF2208.jpg

DSCF2339.jpg

Overhead-cloud-to-cloud lightning that just lit up the farm in just 1/3 of a second.

DSCF2685.jpg

This is THE luckiest shot I ever got, I didn't use the continuous function this time, only timing as far as reaction time goes.

And finally,
DSCF1179.jpg

A beautiful sunset (from a different night) as a kind of end to the stormy post.

Hope you enjoyed it. :)

That was neat. We had a huge lightning storm the other night and my daughter and I enjoyed watching it. None of the lightning struck the ground it was all way up in the air. I'm sure that has a name but I don't know it. All the same it was a sight to see. Glad you didn't have any damage from the tornadoe.

Those are great pictures they remind me of the film 'Wizard of OZ' thanks for sharing....

Jo that is sheet lightning, and that that comes down to the ground is fork lightning. and the very rare one is ball lightning.

Latest posts