Rear tractor tires

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
I haven't looked at the rimsize, probably should have before I post. But one of my tractors needs a rear tire 15.5x 38, and I found a pair of 18x 38 at the right price, plenty of fender and inside clearance. Do you think they will mount ok?

The 15.5x38 takes a 14" wide rim and the 18.4x38 takes a 16" wide rim. The 18.4 s will be taller and it will be a job to get them on. I would say a 16.9 would work better. The 15.5 is a short sidewall tire designed as I would say they would work, but might want to keep the tire pressure pretty low on the 18.4s. For the right price I would use them.

jltrent said:
The 15.5x38 takes a 14" wide rim and the 18.4x38 takes a 16" wide rim. The 18.4 s will be taller and it will be a job to get them on. I would say a 16.9 would work better. The 15.5 is a short sidewall tire designed as I would say they would work, but might want to keep the tire pressure pretty low on the 18.4s. For the right price I would use them.
Thanks, 1 franklin apiece, what pressure would you suggest? I'm gonna let the tire shop put them on. Will I have to change tubes?

snoopdog said:
jltrent said:
Thanks, 1 franklin apiece, what pressure would you suggest? I'm gonna let the tire shop put them on. Will I have to change tubes?
I would run them around 12 psi and put new USA made Firestone tubes in. You don't want the China mfg. tubes.

An 18.4 is 7" taller so they will raise the rear of the tractor 3.5", all of your ground speeds will be noticeably faster also. Mounting that wide tire on the narrow rim will be very "puckered" and the tread will wear terrible, and be hard to get the air pressure right to get good traction.

A 13.6x38 and 15.5x38 are the same height and are often replaced with one another. Be sure you dont have 12" rims on your 15.5s as many do.

As common as 15.5s are I would find a set just to not raise my tractor up and then want larger front tires so its level. And the increased in ground speeds would be a bummer in a lot of cases.

"tractors with mechanical front wheel drive (MFWD) systems, the rolling circumference must be matched to the tractor front to rear gear ratio. If you are considering running tires of different sizes than original equipment, check with your manufacturer first to ensure expensive drive component damage doesn't occur." -Tractor.com

Latest posts