• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rats...Mice....Rodents....whatever

Help Support CattleToday:

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Reaction score

Here is an article from a veterinary news magazine that covers danger of rat poisons to pets and the issue of a pet eating a mouse that consumed rat poison.

Usually, rats and mice contaminate and spill far more feed than they eat. I was in a Tractor Supply store to pick up a couple bags of feed. I noticed that the bags on top of the pallet had mice holes in them. Every time I set a bag aside, a mouse ran out of the stack. I gave up on finding a bag that did not have holes from that pallet. I think feed stores struggle with mice control.

I heard that the rats in NYC were struggling to find food with the restaurants closed due to the lockdowns. Video I saw on TV showed they were out in greater numbers than usual looking for food. Covid has been bad on everyone.

OP
M

Mshane6542

Reaction score
How sure are you that your varmints don’t have striped tails and masked eyes? Having a hard time imagining how many mice it would take to eat 50 lbs of feed in one night.
My wife always says I’m a bad communicator, they didn’t knock it out over night but it was actually more than one bag over a couple weeks time from purchasing and getting to the bottom of the stack.

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
many years ago one of the neighbors about a mile from me got the bright idea to start mixing his own feed - grains and round bales in a giant mixer then dump it on the ground for feeder steers. The land he was leasing was not cleared - lots of cover.

And, he did not bother to fence out or barricade the grains. At first, the wild hogs trailed behind the cattle while he dumped out feed. However very quickly they found the buffet source and the wild hog population exploded. He finally figured it out and started using the hay bales to block access to the grains. The good news - the hogs stayed out of our place until he went out of business 2 years later. The bad news - that's when they became my problem.

Cats and traps are the most effective on rats. Bigger traps and dogs are more effective on larger vermin.

Little Joe

Reaction score
many years ago one of the neighbors about a mile from me got the bright idea to start mixing his own feed - grains and round bales in a giant mixer then dump it on the ground for feeder steers. The land he was leasing was not cleared - lots of cover.

And, he did not bother to fence out or barricade the grains. At first, the wild hogs trailed behind the cattle while he dumped out feed. However very quickly they found the buffet source and the wild hog population exploded. He finally figured it out and started using the hay bales to block access to the grains. The good news - the hogs stayed out of our place until he went out of business 2 years later. The bad news - that's when they became my problem.

Cats and traps are the most effective on rats. Bigger traps and dogs are more effective on larger vermin.

Sounds like you and he had an opportunity at some grain fed pork for free and alot of fun shooting them. Might not have been free for him but would've been for you.