Rats-Should I call Ratso Rizzo

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Anyone have a good way of getting rid of rats forever? I have been using "just one bite" rat poison. Just put 2 packages down paper and all and they are both gone. How long does it take before the poison kills the varmits? Anyone else have the same problem. It is warm this year and this year has been a real problem for me. I want to get rid of them forever any good suggestions. they are nesting under my chicken coop

I have seen small terrier type dogs, like a Jack Russell go into tight spaces and root out varmints. Don't know why they wouldn't eat rats. Rats, etc. are bound to bring the snakes eventually. Watch out when you reach in for those eggs!! :eek: Boone

Baits such as Havoc, and Blue Death have an anti coagulant in them which means,when eaten they cause the Mouse or Rat to bleed to death internally. Sometimes it can take several days for the poison to work.If you have a large population, you may have to keep bait out almost continually, or until you see them less frequently.

I started to have a problem with rats and mice around the the feed shed when I ran out of D-con. Tried some Tom Cat brand from TSC. The rats and mice ate 4 packs in 6 days. Still had the problem, so I got some D-con. Put 2 packs out and the problem was solved. I have had opossums to get in the rat poison in the past, so you might want to put it were larger animals can't get to it.

That's one thing I love about living in Alberta, no rats. We actually have "rat police" at the border to ensure they are not coming in. As well it is illegal for anyone but zoos, universites and research institutions to own a rat. They enforce this very strongly.
Good luck getting rid of them. I read somewhere that at our borders they use warfarin primarily.

It probably goes without saying, but be careful to keep the poison where dogs/cats can't get it.

I have a lot of dogs and cats, so I don't use poison -- don't have rats though, just mice. I use traps inside, and let the cats take care of most of them outside. I did have one point where there were so many mice in the grain room that I'd walk in there and find a dozen mice inside of a grain barrel that couldn't get out. Added a little bit of fun to my day. 8)

If you have a pellet gun you can sit real still and make a sound like a chunk of cheese and shoot the rats when they come out to eat

dun

the key to success with getting rid of the rats is to always keep bait in the sheds or wherever you've had the problem, even when the initial problem is solved. Put the bait in a old pipe where cats and doges can't get in. Rats prefers to eat in dark places and in tunnels and putting the bait in a pipe works well.

I was told by a old timer to mix cracked corn or oats with dry cement put it in a tight spot were cats and dogs can`t get it, the rats eat the oats and a little cement and it goes hard in the belly and they die.seems to work pretty well and no posion used.

jane and i both tryed drywall compond(dry mix) we mixed it will corn meal,pancake mix, and set it out got a few "rat statues" lol but then they seen to figure it out,, i have read that you need to switch poisons thay figure out what is making then sick if not eat enough to kill them and wont eat any more.. i keep bars out all he time at barn under house just in case a new crew comes around. i have a great rat scare cow working in my grain barrel right now LOL a black snake skin i found in thehay,about 5 ft long, lying across top of barrel and down in one side,,, so far so good... lol was a pretty cool snake skin..i dont bother the black snakes if they come to barn,, Rose

Latest posts