Natural, organic, or whatever and antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen":36mtn5nj said:
I think my view on this subject is pretty well known. Natural, Grass fed, Organic and all the other two bit words don't mean squat for the rancher. This is some fad cooked up by some marketing a hole who never made a dime through honest work.

When my cattle get sick I take care of them. If that means using antibiotics then so be it. And so would every other rancher who's worth his salt. So where is this "organic" crap coming from? Has any one ever tracked down the supply line? Oh, I know. It's coming from that feller over in Tennessee (sp) that feeds chicken s___ to his cattle. Well, its organic, ain't it?

So what does the "organic" rancher do when he/she has a sick animal? Let them suffer and eventually die? Spread whatever to the rest of the herd (all two of them)?

Sorry fellers. I don't buy it.

Earl, When he has to give a calf a shot, he just pulls that one out and markets him elsewhere. Not too problematic, huh?

As I understand it, "natural" is just a marketing ploy and can be defined by the seller. It usually means things like no antibiotics, no implants, etc. "Organic" on the other hand has a strict set of criteria that must be met. You have to apply and be inspected to be certified organic, but anyone can say their beef is all natural.

Latest posts