Ranch Help

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
how much ranch help do you have to help out. do you have any full time employees or part timers. How much land and cattle do you run. I run about 100 momma cows and test about 25-45 bulls per year. i also develop about 40 heifers a year. I do for the most part all this by myself. with the occasional help but 95% is done by myself. I think this saves a lot of money, gets things done right(if you want something done right, do it yourself) and i enjoy it.

1100 cows, 2000 acres, develop 200 bulls a year, and 500 heifers. Bale our own hay, AI 4-500 cows and 80% of the heifers. Myself and three guys Caustic let in! Thanks Caustic!!

The outfit I work for is pretty impressive. 4 ranches in my area I work totalling 45000 acres with 10000 momma cows. Me and three other guys work most of it and hire dayworkers when we need to. The owners have 2 outfits in GA and 1 in Texas as well. All cow/calf in FLA. Not sure about the other 3. Make our own replacements but bring in bulls from the outside. There is a half dozen or so additional help for the feeding, pasture management, grounds, etc. My own personal stash only adds up to 60 pairs and I do it all with dad and my sons when necessary.

We hire high school kids at baling time. Only because we are limited on time and the folks are getting up in years. Siblings are scattered out to much to be able to help much. Children are not quite old enough to keep up with us. Rest of it is just us.

Only time we hire help is when we pen and work em. We have a couple guys we've been using for the last 10 years or so, and can depend on them to come out when we need em. Sure helps to have hands that will work gates. Hubby and myself along with two kids, it's hard to do it by ourselves. Takes two on the chute when runnin em thru for shots, palpatin etc. So havin their help is somethin we'd not wanna try doin without. They are both fair hands at throwin a loop as well. All haying, feedin, etc we do ourselves.

just me and one good cowdog. well sometimes my dad comes and opens the gate for the cowdog.

It's always good to have witnesses when there's wrecks, so that you have someone there that can relay the story of "how it happened" to others. LOL

300 acres, ~60 momma cows, halter breaking, showing 10-15 animals at 10-15 shows a year. My dad used to do it by himself with me there on holidays and summer. Now just me and him.

Latest posts