Raising cattle in tough conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
When I write about what is required for tough conditions I often get the impression that very few people grasp what I mean by tough conditions.

Here is a few pics to illustrate, this is the registered herd with a few commercials thrown in. They are run under exactly the same conditions. Usually October and November are our best months for grazing, but with the drought we had it was only slightly better than June - September. We've had less than 4" of rain for 2008 and the rain season is something of the past for this year.

Typically my cattle run on veld like this for the winter, then from December onwards they are on irrigated pasture (only registered cows that still have calves at foot) After weaning the calves all the cows goes to another piece of veld with lots of Port Jackson trees where they browse the leafs till June when I start calving again. Replacement heifers and bulls use the remaining irrigated pasture after the calves has been weaned.

As can be expected the cows won't always win beauty contests, but they work with no suplements at all.

This cow is a pretty good one with a 5 month old bullcalf.
RobertsonVeldkoeikampioen2008.jpg

This cow is raising the biggest calf of the 2008 season, 5 1/2 months old and weighing 480lbs on just milk and what he could find to eat in this desert.
05330816.jpg

Both these bullcalves will be sent to be tested for FCR in January.

The registered herd in last week, note the bull in the back, he was with 72 cows here and is 25 months old. 31 of those were AI'ed so he had just a cleanup role on about half of them.
100_4507.jpg

Same bull today after he was pulled from the herd, his job is done till next year.
0617.jpg

This photo was posted earlier this year when he was on pasture
100_3222-1.jpg

He will be on a kikuyu pasture while being prepared for a show in February. This is quite a contrast to the life most showbulls lead, but it also explains why the bulls I sell will always look better in their new home.

The cows are expected to get fat when on pasture even while they are still suckling their calves, they will get preg checked in 6 weeks time and ALL opens will be butchered, no exceptions.

Here is the same herd on their way to the irrigated pastures. I bet they won't miss the veld of this season.
veld.jpg

you are describing the conditions of south an west texas where it takes 60acs to run a cow.the ground is rough rocky an very little grass.

At the moment it almost looks like some areas of Australia We've had no decent rain at all this year & have been drought declared for nearly the last 4 yrs. At the moment our biggest worry is running out of water if we soon don't get any rain

I'm always been really impressed with your cattle Knersie and even more so now seeing the way they have to work for it!!! :tiphat:

bigbull338":3s0ky194 said:
you are describing the conditions of south an west texas where it takes 60acs to run a cow.the ground is rough rocky an very little grass.

I agree. I talked to a gentleman that was instrumental in bringing Boer goats to the U.S. from South Africa, and he said that the environment of South Africa was almost identical to Texas. In that the eastern portion was full of grass and vegatation and also got a pretty good amount of rain, and the further west you got the poorer the vegetation and less rainfall.

Hats off to you KNERSIE, great looking animals thriving on what is available to them (which looks like very little).

Ryan

Latest posts