Raising calves for sale

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm looking for information and Ideas. I live in the Monterey Bay area of Ca. I have worked cattle for years on my friends ranch. I now have five acres of my own and I want to buy orphaned calves to raise and sell at the local auction. I need information regarding shots and any other info possible. Our local auction sometimes sells dairy bull calves very cheaply. Will a dairy bull calf sell? Is it better to stick to beef? Heifers or bull calves? I already know how to feed and care for them my questions are reagarding sales and profit.

Any ideas? or information out there?

Cheryl

[email protected]

> I'm looking for information and
> Ideas. I live in the Monterey Bay
> area of Ca. I have worked cattle
> for years on my friends ranch. I
> now have five acres of my own and
> I want to buy orphaned calves to
> raise and sell at the local
> auction. I need information
> regarding shots and any other info
> possible. Our local auction
> sometimes sells dairy bull calves
> very cheaply. Will a dairy bull
> calf sell? Is it better to stick
> to beef? Heifers or bull calves? I
> already know how to feed and care
> for them my questions are
> reagarding sales and profit.

> Any ideas? or information out
> there?

> Cheryl

I have had good luck raising dairy bull calves. At the present time 500 pound Holstein steers are selling for 80 cents at the local auction. Nothing against the other breeds but I have done better with holsteins than the other dairy breeds. I have also done well with certain bull calves which I leave bulls. Find a dairy Which breeds entirely with AI and get the bulls out of their top cows. Keep records of the cow and bull and raise these calves for dairies which use bulls instead of AI for breeding. I sell these bulls at about 14 months when they are getting old enough to use for breeding and they are beginning to be a pain to be around. Beware it is like having a bunch of teen age boys around, not mean just stupid and full of energy. But I have done well with this. Good luck Dave

Latest posts