Raised bumps under skin

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh my nope our cows didn't have anything like that. I don't think its ring worms either. The circles towards the back sort of looks like ringworms, but I don't think they get that puffy. I myself would let a vet check them out. Especially since more cows are showing signs of having them .

I'd bet they're Warts! Especially if they are getting larger and crusty on the top. It's easier for me to tell if they are warts on a black hide...but, at least until you get a professional opinion from a vet, I'd call them warts.

Alice

It's not warts , grubs or ringworms. I have had cows get something like that in the past, it has always gone away.

I've had a few get this type of skin irritation but not to the degree of what's shown in the picture. I can scratch them off with a curry comb then treat with sometype of salve -- bag balm or petro carbo salve and they go away.

Any chance it's a reaction to the pour-on? The timing is a little long for it but maybe if the dilution was off their skin could show those welts.

I seriously thought the pour on may have caused this reaction, but a few who have them didn't get the treatment. Maybe it was transfered.
I took more pics. All the bumps are oval shaped, not really round. Most are isolated to the neck and head region. They're starting to scab over and fester a little. And they seem to be sensitive to the touch. I believe it's something they have come in contact with, given the location and timing. The flies are bad this year and they're scratching on anything and everything. I've been monitoring them daily and will watch for any change. A vet visit will be the last resort. Honestly, I haven't had much luck with Vets in the past.....
Bumps.jpg

Bumps5.jpg

This has got me baffled.
Symptoms are coincedal with fly or lice larvae.

I know you said the vet was a last resort, but if for nothing other than my sanity, call the vet!

Could possibily be a contact dermatitis. Any possible irritants that they could come in contact with.
I'd haul on to the vet...a cow vet.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

The bumps have now crusted over and seem to be healing. The hair on the bumps initially fell out, but is coming back. We still don't know what caused it, but didn't really seem to have an impact on the cattle.

Had a horse eat crab apples and her neck and shoulder looked something like that first picture. She was very itchy also. Took her to the vet and he fixed her up. Said it was an allergic reaction. After he treated her the welts just went away(took a little while), couldn't tell they had ever been there.

Are these bumps all over the cows body or in certain areas?

Don't know if you get it over in the USA, but in the northern areas of South Africa you get a disease called Lumpy Skin Disease. Don't know what causes it, but I know you can vaccinate against it. I'll try and find more info.

Try asking Andybob, I'm sure he would have encountered it before in the past.

Most of the bumps were isolated to the head and neck. Although we had a few head that had them spread down the side. We're chalking it up as an allergic reaction or skin disorder. We had another single heifer,(out of 200 head), get this about the same time in a pasture several miles away.

They seem to be fine with no lasting effects. I'm just waiting to see if they heal completely or leave scars....

Sounds like fire ants to me... very common in FLA, unless you are treating your pastures very regular in FLA you will have them... no getting away from them exept for going to wal-mart grab some Amdro... it works the best to kill the ants. If you keep at it on a regular walk of the pastures you can keep them at bay. A little goes a long way.

Jake

Latest posts