Raised bumps under skin

Help Support CattleToday:

mdouglas

Reaction score
We have several heifers with raised bumps all over their sides, neck, and backs. It looks similar to bug bites, but there are many, many bumps. Only about 6 head out of the 20 we have in this pasture seem effected. They are about the size of a quarter. I thought maybe it's a skin disorder of some type. Has anyone seen or know something about this? Thanks.

mdouglas":1p9e8vny said:
We have several heifers with raised bumps all over their sides, neck, and backs. It looks similar to bug bites, but there are many, many bumps. Only about 6 head out of the 20 we have in this pasture seem effected. They are about the size of a quarter. I thought maybe it's a skin disorder of some type. Has anyone seen or know something about this? Thanks.

I remember watching my Daddy pop grubs out of the backs of his cows. Do a search on cattle grubs and see if what you are seeing resembles that...just a thought, nothing more.

Alice

As Alice said, grubs are what came to my mind too. If it is, there should be a small opening in the center of the bump.

Ron

I've searched for info on the grubs, but can't find any real photos of the bumps on a live cow to compare to. I'll check again tonight, but I didn't see any type of opening or hole on the bump.

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Exten ... mmend.html

CowwCattleGrubsenlarged.gif

I wouldn;t think that it's grubs aka ox warbles aka heel fly larvae because of the time of year. We used to see them in the spring. But I suppose a lot of it would have to do with when the heelfly/gadfly season is in your area.
Other then that some sort of biting fly maybe or ant bites?

dun

Thanks for the link. I'll thoroughly check the bumps tonight and maybe take some pics. I did treat with Saber pour on about 2 weeks ago. It seems Saber doesn't treat for this type of parasite....

It's strange that none of our older cows or bull show no sign of these bumps...

Would guess at this point in time, the best thing to do, may be to excize a few of them to see what you may have inside,,,,,if it's warbles, of course, see if they are dead, if not, treat with proper chemicals, if dead, or if puss is present, a feed containing antibiotic may be in order to prevent further infection. :cboy:

The bumps are quarter size, raised about half inch(under the skin). The feed hasn't changed. Just mineral, salt block, and grass. My father seems to think it's an allergic reaction to something. It looks like bites, but there's too many to be bites. I would think if it were bites, it would cause other symptoms. A couple of heifers are 60% covered.

Medic24":2a15ixz2 said:
Would guess at this point in time, the best thing to do, may be to excize a few of them to see what you may have inside,,,,,if it's warbles, of course, see if they are dead, if not, treat with proper chemicals, if dead, or if puss is present, a feed containing antibiotic may be in order to prevent further infection. :cboy:

Why don't you try that...if for no other reason than to rule something out? Besides, I curious to know...not that that's the best reason, of course. :)

Alice

Hey, have you thought about bumble bee, hornets, ect. Last year one of my heifers got into a bumble bee nest and she had about nickle to quarter sized raised areas on her neck and torso and a couple on her face. She was the only that had alot stings, some of the others had varying numbers of stings depending how close they were to the nest.

Duck

Alice":wcevzmjt said:
Medic24":wcevzmjt said:

Why don't you try that...if for no other reason than to rule something out? Besides, I curious to know...not that that's the best reason, of course. :)

Alice

Alice, it'd be reason enough for me. If I saw those things (from the Cornell site) on one of mine, I'd be out there in the middle of the night getting it into the chute and squeezing the heck out of those holes to extract whatever was in there with Coke bottles or whatever it took (and with gloves on, you better believe it). And I'd probably have Dr. Melinda there with me to confirm what it was. But that's just me and I'm squeamish about wormy things.

Gale Seddon":5qrtsegd said:
Alice":5qrtsegd said:
Medic24":5qrtsegd said:

Alice

Alice, it'd be reason enough for me. If I saw those things (from the Cornell site) on one of mine, I'd be out there in the middle of the night getting it into the chute and squeezing the heck out of those holes to extract whatever was in there with Coke bottles or whatever it took (and with gloves on, you better believe it). And I'd probably have Dr. Melinda there with me to confirm what it was. But that's just me and I'm squeamish about wormy things.

Yeah, and you don't like brains for any meal either! :lol:

Seriously, grubs were what came to my mind, but it's got me curious, please keep us updated.

I performed a closer inspection and took some pics. I haven't pulled the pics off the camera yet, hopefully tonight when I get home from work. The bumps vary in size and almost have a flat surface as opposed to a round bulge. I couldn't see a hole and couldn't squeeze anything out of them. The bumps are hard, raised whelps. I don't think it's a parasite. I noticed more cows have them now. Almost all. Some are just harder to see and vary in size. It looks like a skin reaction or disorder,,,possibly bites. I should get the pics posted soon.

Marshall

We had a couple of cows with what you were talking about. It was lice. I washed them with Rid for humans and it went away. But I did see ringworms on another mans cattle. They were about a quarter size flat area. pictures would help.

Sorry, the pics came out crappy. This is the only one that has a good overall view of the bumps.
sonny4.jpg

Nope, doesn't have the appearance of grubs. It looks like some sort of funky dermatitis...

Maybe ask the vet to take some scrapings.

Alice

I've seen that too on our cattle, couple years ago it goes away... no bugs to pop out, and it never came back. Its like a rash and have thought they get it by rubbing and itching.. let us know what you figure out. donna

Latest posts