Racism - Seen Firsthand

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":17oohbwm said:
sim.-ang.king":17oohbwm said:
There are a lot of different types of prejudices out there, and it seems the one about what degree, or education you have is becoming more prevalent.

I see this a lot. I knew a guy who ran cattle and would talk about all those 'educated idiots' all the time. He used to tell this one riddle about three guys splitting a hotel room and paying for it. They were overcharged and got a refund. The way he would tell it, it would sound like there was a dollar missing and he would always ask "Where's the dollar?" One time I showed him on paper that the dollar was never missing, that it was actually very easy to figure out. That was the beginning of the end of our friendship I think because he was embarrassed. I'll admit it, I'm pretty educated. I'll also admit I can't spell to save my life. However, in my specific fields where I make money, I'm extremely knowledgable, and that's what matters. When it comes to cattle, I'm uneducated, not an idiot. Also, remember that those 'educated idiots' over at TCU, BU, KSU, etc. are some of the same idiots who help to develop new technology that we all use in some capacity almost every day whether it be on the farm, in our homes, of the phone in your pocket. Just because someone can't do the same things you can do doesn't make them an idiot, and vice versa. We all have different talents.

That is all.
I took him him to mean something completely different from what you took.

TexasBred":22dms4vo said:
sim.-ang.king":22dms4vo said:
There are a lot of different types of prejudices out there, and it seems the one about what degree, or education you have is becoming more prevalent.

I'm sure you've heard he expression "educated idiots". There is a great difference between being educated and having a degree...or two...or three.
I've learned over the years that whether it's education, religion, power, money or whatever....those that talk about it the most usually really have very little of it.

That's very true.

sim.-ang.king":nwy6yomj said:
I've fought that one my whole life. I've been told since I was in kindergarden that I had to go to college if I wanted to be much of anything in life. School was not for me though and I dropped out officially in my sophmore year but it was more like eighth grade as two years were just me going through the motions.
The biggest obstacle I've faced in my adult life was me thinking I wasn't good enough because I didn't have a degree and that thinking was heavily enforced by my parents. As of about two years ago my dad was still trying to convince me that there was still time to "make something of myself" and I had to point out that my net worth is much larger than his and that my sister and her husband, who both have masters degrees, were struggling along with business number three and a mountain of debt...
I think what I needed was to hear myself tell him that. ;-) The funny thing is that instead of feeling uplifted and more driven, I now feel like I don't really have to prove anything to anyone and it's slowed me down some... I'm glad I got so much done before I figured it out or he'd have been right. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":sckvmr4c said:
sim.-ang.king":sckvmr4c said:

I'm sure you've heard he expression "educated idiots". There is a great difference between being educated and having a degree...or two...or three.
I've learned over the years that whether it's education, religion, power, money or whatever....those that talk about it the most usually really have very little of it.

My grandma had a saying.. "Money (or whatever else) is like jam, the less of it you have the more you smear it around"

and old fellow told me 25 years ago "Don't go to school too long or you'll miss out on your education"

I did well in high school, but lost focus in university. I quit after 2 years, but don't consider it a complete waste.. I do use some of the stuff I learned in physics, math, etc once in a while.
I know well the type of people who'll look down on you for not having a mountain of education "PhD = Piled higher and deeper". I'm also not the kind of person who thinks all school is useless.

jedstivers":3zd7jm3c said:
I took him him to mean something completely different from what you took.

If you hadn't had said that I wouldn't have looked at it from the other side. I hear you, there are a ton of jobs that don't require a college education, yet they won't hire a person unless they have that. As a nation, we are putting an entire segment of the population out of work simply b/c they are 'under educated.' We need to bring manufacturing back to America, train those people who are usually a lot smarter than HR thinks they are, and put those people to work. :2cents: I grew up in a house where my father has his doctorate and my mother is a teacher. Education was all I knew. I went to college to teach, got my BS, quit three years into it. Went back to community college and got an associate's degree that makes me way more money. In fact, most of the MD's I work with won't give me the time of day b/c they think that I must be stupid if I'm only in x-ray. Education isn't everything. And please, don't think I look down on people b/c they don't have it. Heck, there's a lot of millionaires out there-new money too, who don't have fancy letters after their name. Everyone takes a different path in life, and if we didn't the world would be a boring place.

I get to meet educated idiots all the time. I also get to meet and work with some brilliant educated people. I also know some people with little formal education who are vastly smarter than most "educated " people. To me an educated idiot is a person with a high level of education but not a single lick of common sense.

Dave":59hya3xe said:
I get to meet educated idiots all the time. I also get to meet and work with some brilliant educated people. I also know some people with little formal education who are vastly smarter than most "educated " people. To me an educated idiot is a person with a high level of education but not a single lick of common sense.
:nod: :nod:

I sure wish I could of made myself stay in school. It's very apparent who has a education and who doesn't when it comes to expressing your thoughts in writing. When my grades fell to the point that I couldn't play sports anymore, I was done with school.

highgrit":1g375gkz said:
I sure wish I could of made myself stay in school. It's very apparent who has a education and who doesn't when it comes to expressing your thoughts in writing. When my grades fell to the point that I couldn't play sports anymore, I was done with school.
Highgrit, these days the coaches would have seen to it that problem disappeared. (especially if you were good player). :lol2:

Latest posts