Racism - Seen Firsthand

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Several years ago I was in a small town in Alabama and was at a Hardee's restaurant getting some lunch. While I was inside I saw this girl carrying her baby come in to pick up her check. She was nursing the baby with a bottle. She left the same time I did and the road in front of the restaurant was a four lane separated by a grass median. I see her get in her car and puts the baby in the front seat holding the child and still giving it its bottle. She pulls out of the restaurant and pulls right in front of a semi-truck driven by a black man. The semi driver had just come through the downtown area where there were plenty of stop lights and was travelling at a safe speed but as you know a truck is not a sports car and he could not stop to prevent hitting the girl so he swerves the truck into the left hand lane. The girl - wanting to make a left but couldn't because of the median - then changes lanes and moves in front of the semi truck with no blinker and no clue what was coming her way. The trucker then hits the grass median to keep from hitting her but the girl then turns into the paved area between the medians and the semi T-bones her and knocks her across the two lanes and onto the ROW.

I'm standing with my jaw down witnessing this whole event. It was surreal. I immediately pull my truck over to the ROW and turn on my hazards and me and the truck driver run over to see if the girl is alright. Moments later other people show up and then a State Trooper shows up. Many of the new arrivals turned into witnesses and began telling the trooper how the trucker was speeding - doing 70 mph - and hit the poor girl and her infant baby. It was becoming a mob scene and the trucker looked like a crow in a flock of cowbirds and the heckles were getting louder as it seemed each new arrival - became a new witness and built their testimony on what they heard the others say.

I was appalled at the mob mentality and stood on the ROW waiting for things to simmer down. When the trucker defended himself against the accusations the trooper told him to shut up and stand over in the grass and he'd get to him in a minute. I stood and watched him take names of witnesses and when things died down a bit I walked to the officer and told him that is not what happened at all and many of his witnesses were not even there at the time of the accident. The trooper looked at me and said, "boy, you best go over and stand by your buddy because you boys are in enough trouble as it is". I complied thinking you stupid redneck sob.

Long story short, I ended up having to drive six hours to sit on a witness stand. Apparently I was the only eye-witness whose testimony had not been discredited by the wreck data. The car the girl was driving was unregistered and the plates stolen and of course she didn't have insurance but was fishing for a big check from the trucking company. The ambulance chasing attorney she hired tried to discredit my testimony but he made a critical error in judgment thinking I was some dumb hick then asking a question he didn't know the answer to and my response essentially was the coup de grâce to his case and the trucker was found not guilty. I found it interesting that the judge seemed genuinely interested in my testimony of how the trooper had treated me and he even asked me a few questions himself regarding the trooper's actions and comments to me.

It was a major pain in the azz to have to go through all this for someone I didn't know. I could have easily gotten out of it but I would hope the trucker would do the same for me if our roles were reversed - assuming he could see past the color of my skin. I think it was worth the inconvenience though and think two good things came out of it. I feel sorry for the trucker though because this thing drug on for two years and it probably screwed his career over when he was only doing his job and doing a good job at that given the situation he was faced with.

Great story thanks for posting and not allowing someone innocent to be railroaded :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: The world needs more of you... Next time you get a hair cut save some hair in an envelope so we can see if they can clone you :D

Thanks Sky but I was just following the Golden Rule. If we all would try to do this a lot of these fiascos can be avoided and it applies to those with and without a badge.

Jogeephus":1uxrt3z3 said:
Thanks Sky but I was just following the Golden Rule. If we all would try to do this a lot of these fiascos can be avoided and it applies to those with and without a badge.

Very true.

Jo, thank you for doing the right thing in that situation. So many today would have done anything to keep from getting involved.

I don't doubt that racism could have been a motivation for some of the people involved actions. However there is a chance that their actions may have been the same even if the truck driver had been white. Large trucks have a law suit target on them. People hate them being on the roads and it seems like anytime one is in an accident people automatically blame the truck.
I'm not doubting that racism was involved with some. I know that you know racism when you see it but some of the anger may have been at the semi as well.

I'm glad you stood up for what is just and right :)

Around here there was a potentially very bad accident, a logging truck flipped over coming around a corner, and the logs spilled over, and into an OCCUPIED campground... Some guardian angels were working overtime there and no one was hit. The trucker blamed an RV that pulled out in front of him from what I heard in one story. My friend was behind that truck, said it passed him earlier, and was just going way too darned fast.
In the end there were just a whole lot of lucky people that day

Great story. The trouble now is that not enough people live by the Golden Rule. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Very gripping story. Good for you. I wish more people were like you. Listen to this:

In 1980, I was transferred to Denver. I had a 1977 chevy van. I was driving home from the Park and Ride in Lakewood. All of a sudden, I hear a loud ungodly crash into the side of my van. I stopped. I was going maybe 40 miles per hour in a 45 mph speed area. The cause was a 15 year old boy who was coming down a steep hill on a bicycle in east Denver where the foothills are. He slammed into the side of my Van and was knocked unconsious. I had moved 37 feet from the point of impact. No cell phones but somehow the Lakewood police arrived in 15 minutes. There was 20 people standing around. Before I could offer any story, a woman was giving the officer an account that absolutely dumb-founded me. She made it sound like I was deliberately out to run over this teenager on a bicycle. That was followed by several other women confirming her story. Then, a male truck driver who was directly behind me stepped up to the officer. He explained in a very clear non-emotional voice exactly what happened. He said the boy was coming down a hill on his bicyle and simply slammed into the side of that man's van. He said the man stopped in shorter distance than I would have expected. The officer took a tape and the trucker helped him measure the distance. The officer walked over to me and gave me a summons (I don't remember what it was) to appear at the Lakewood Police Department the next day.

I appeared scared to death. I was 30 years old and knew this was the end. The officer sat down with me and we drew up a pictorial of what happened. He said you are free to go but I would advise you to get a lawyer because the family of the teenager may want to sue you. He said contact me if you need to, it was obvious that you could not avoid that event.

Do you know, till this day, I have never been involved in an auto accident or made a claim aginst my auto insurance.

I will never erase the mental image of about 5 women running to that officer to tell him an absolute lie.

Deepsouth":rhrd2a5s said:
Jo, thank you for doing the right thing in that situation. So many today would have done anything to keep from getting involved.

I don't doubt that racism could have been a motivation for some of the people involved actions. However there is a chance that their actions may have been the same even if the truck driver had been white. Large trucks have a law suit target on them. People hate them being on the roads and it seems like anytime one is in an accident people automatically blame the truck.
I'm not doubting that racism was involved with some. I know that you know racism when you see it but some of the anger may have been at the semi as well.

Good point and you are absolutely correct. There were about two or three people who were definitely racists but the rest just fell into that mob mentality and joined the lynch crew. This mob mentality is a dangerous thing and with social media its something we need to be careful of. I don't know how many of you have seen the testimonies of the witnesses in Ferguson but I think all should do so. One witness was three blocks away. Another was watching television and viewed parts of the incident from his window but missed other parts because he went back to watching television. Who among us would go back to watching Oprah or the Dukes of Hazard with this going on in front of our house? IMO, this testimony is BS and akin to claiming he had never shyt in his paints.

Deepsouth, you bring out a great point in that it doesn't take but a few racists in a group to turn the group into a lynch mob where you have otherwise good people who turn into a pack of dogs.

My ex is American Indian and very prejudiced against blacks. When I would have friends of mine over she would go and lock herself in the bedroom until they left. I tried to explain to her that if hadn;t been for those guys I would have ended up never being promoted and probably kicked out of the Navy for bad conduct. 3 Black guys and 1 Filipino took me under their collective wing and brute force changed my ways, forced me to study for promotions and generally kicked my butt when I screwed up seriously. Sort of like an older rother would do.
Gladly my daughter didn;t inherit her mothers attitude. I was talking to her about her mothers prejudice one day and she said siomething that is pretty true and awfully insighful for an 18 year old. "Every one has to feel superior to someone for whatever reason". I don;t think I feel superior to anyone, but just as in everything else, some people take pride i being better at doing somethings then others. I take pride in being able to get cows to settle and usually to see the other side of an issue. I think not feeling superior is what gives me the ability to explain things (in a way that they can be understood. I dropped out of high school andjoined the Navy at 17, the education I acquired was through reding, figuring and doing. I was giving seminars fairly regularly at the Naval Weapons Center and 1 guy asked me where I got my degree. I told him the school of hard knocks. From that day on a lot of the people that had been asking me for help wouldn;t even talk to me and if they did it was on the sly. The particular place was just degree crazy, but most of the people had phds and masters. I didn;t feel superior, just sorry for them.

dun":38njww9w said:
My ex is American Indian and very prejudiced against blacks. When I would have friends of mine over she would go and lock herself in the bedroom until they left. I tried to explain to her that if hadn;t been for those guys I would have ended up never being promoted and probably kicked out of the Navy for bad conduct. 3 Black guys and 1 Filipino took me under their collective wing and brute force changed my ways, forced me to study for promotions and generally kicked my butt when I screwed up seriously. Sort of like an older rother would do.
Gladly my daughter didn;t inherit her mothers attitude. I was talking to her about her mothers prejudice one day and she said siomething that is pretty true and awfully insighful for an 18 year old. "Every one has to feel superior to someone for whatever reason". I don;t think I feel superior to anyone, but just as in everything else, some people take pride i being better at doing somethings then others. I take pride in being able to get cows to settle and usually to see the other side of an issue. I think not feeling superior is what gives me the ability to explain things (in a way that they can be understood. I dropped out of high school andjoined the Navy at 17, the education I acquired was through reding, figuring and doing. I was giving seminars fairly regularly at the Naval Weapons Center and 1 guy asked me where I got my degree. I told him the school of hard knocks. From that day on a lot of the people that had been asking me for help wouldn;t even talk to me and if they did it was on the sly. The particular place was just degree crazy, but most of the people had phds and doctorates. I didn;t feel superior, just sorry for them.
There are a lot of different types of prejudices out there, and it seems the one about what degree, or education you have is becoming more prevalent.

Jogeephus you are a class act. Most people would not have done the follow through like you did even if they didn't have racist tendencies.

Little things like that, that aren't little at all to the people involved, one person at a time, is how racism will be ultimately conquered. The more people who refuse to live up to their stereotype, makes other people re-think the stereotypes and their preconceived notions.

MO_cows":3m47xjtb said:
Jogeephus you are a class act.

Thanks but I'm far from special and think there are many people who would have done the same thing. There are a lot of good people out there. Unfortunately the media and the hate mongers want to keep stirring the pot and creating hate and division so they can line their pockets or win a vote. It really makes me sick. Ironically, I live in Georgia and we are all stereotyped as being a bunch of racists but I can assure you of one thing, whatever racism we may have in Georgia is nothing compared to what there is in Detroit, Washington or Chicago.

That was good of you Jo, I don't know how you didn't make it a life's mission to bring that trooper down. That's something like you'd expect out of a local Barney.

On the opposite side we had a young white girl here driving through town one night hit and kill a older black woman that had wandered into the street. Completely unavoidable, it was close to getting real bad for the girl till a few people stood up for her till everyone got there.
It was good of a few people that night.

jedstivers":3kl0k90s said:
That was good of you Jo, I don't know how you didn't make it a life's mission to bring that trooper down.

The judge was very interested in his comments so I'm sure there were some repercussions but in fairness to the trooper I think the mob mentality Deepsouth pointed out played into this to a large degree and he had to diffuse the situation and he was just going on the information he had at the time. The one that really got my dander up was the ambulance chasing scumbag attorney the girl had hired to make her payday. He did have all the facts and the wreck forensics and still he tried to twist the truth and people's words around.

sim.-ang.king":214tneqz said:
There are a lot of different types of prejudices out there, and it seems the one about what degree, or education you have is becoming more prevalent.

I see this a lot. I knew a guy who ran cattle and would talk about all those 'educated idiots' all the time. He used to tell this one riddle about three guys splitting a hotel room and paying for it. They were overcharged and got a refund. The way he would tell it, it would sound like there was a dollar missing and he would always ask "Where's the dollar?" One time I showed him on paper that the dollar was never missing, that it was actually very easy to figure out. That was the beginning of the end of our friendship I think because he was embarrassed. I'll admit it, I'm pretty educated. I'll also admit I can't spell to save my life. However, in my specific fields where I make money, I'm extremely knowledgable, and that's what matters. When it comes to cattle, I'm uneducated, not an idiot. Also, remember that those 'educated idiots' over at TCU, BU, KSU, etc. are some of the same idiots who help to develop new technology that we all use in some capacity almost every day whether it be on the farm, in our homes, of the phone in your pocket. Just because someone can't do the same things you can do doesn't make them an idiot, and vice versa. We all have different talents.

That is all.

Bestoutwest":31m4wwx5 said:
sim.-ang.king":31m4wwx5 said:

I see this a lot. I knew a guy who ran cattle and would talk about all those 'educated idiots' all the time. He used to tell this one riddle about three guys splitting a hotel room and paying for it. They were overcharged and got a refund. The way he would tell it, it would sound like there was a dollar missing and he would always ask "Where's the dollar?" One time I showed him on paper that the dollar was never missing, that it was actually very easy to figure out. That was the beginning of the end of our friendship I think because he was embarrassed. I'll admit it, I'm pretty educated. I'll also admit I can't spell to save my life. However, in my specific fields where I make money, I'm extremely knowledgable, and that's what matters. When it comes to cattle, I'm uneducated, not an idiot. Also, remember that those 'educated idiots' over at TCU, BU, KSU, etc. are some of the same idiots who help to develop new technology that we all use in some capacity almost every day whether it be on the farm, in our homes, of the phone in your pocket. Just because someone can't do the same things you can do doesn't make them an idiot, and vice versa. We all have different talents.

That is all.

Very good point! And I love that ending my friend. :D

Bestoutwest":3618vd09 said:
sim.-ang.king":3618vd09 said:

That is all.

There's two prevailing schools of thought out there.

The I am educated and outstanding in my field so no matter what you know about yours I am better...........

and the we always did it this way so why change and since I know you are well educated I don't trust you not to screw me.

take your pick they are both wrong....hence the expressions "eastern elitist liberals" and "dumb hillbillys".....personally I believe that as in all things the truth lies somewhere in the middle

sim.-ang.king":vceo086m said:

I'm sure you've heard he expression "educated idiots". There is a great difference between being educated and having a degree...or two...or three.
I've learned over the years that whether it's education, religion, power, money or whatever....those that talk about it the most usually really have very little of it.

Latest posts