Megyn Kelly.. said "blackface" on air... fire her? extreme racism.

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
Megyn Kelly is under siege at 30 Rock.

Her comments about wearing blackface for Halloween have been denounced by her colleagues on air. And now the man who lured her to NBC News with a $69 million deal has slammed her to company employees.

"There is no other way to put this, but I condemn those remarks," NBC News Chairman Andy Lack said at a town hall meeting on Wednesday, according to a transcript provided to The Daily Beast by a source.

"There is no place on our air or in this workplace for them. Very unfortunate."

Lack went on to praise NBC stars Al Roker and Craig Melvin, who had called Kelly's comments "ignorant" and "racist" and demanded a "bigger apology" on the Today show.

"The team did an excellent job covering it properly," Lack said. "I thought Craig and Al brought a thoughtfulness and a context to it that was sorely missing and they really did this company company and our audience and real public service."

NBC News did not respond to a request for comment on Lack's remarks.

The latest flare-up unfolded Tuesday morning after Kelly said on her show—while discussing Real Housewife of New York Luann de Lesseps bronzing her face to look like Diana Ross—that she didn't understand why wearing blackface was wrong.

"People said that was racist… and I felt like who doesn't like Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day? I don't know how that got racist on Halloween," Kelly said.

"Isn't the whole purpose of Halloween to dress up and pretend you are something other than yourself?" she also said.

"You do get in trouble if a white person puts on blackface at Halloween or a black person puts on whiteface at Halloween… like when I was a kid that was OK if you were dressing up as, like, a character."

Public criticism was instantaneous, and she apologized in an email to NBC staff on Tuesday afternoon, writing, "I realize now that such behavior is indeed wrong and I am sorry."

One NBCUniversal insider said executives were "furious" about Kelly's comments. And since Kelly has covered sexual misconduct allegations against NBC personalities like Matt Lauer and Tom Brokaw on her show, executives weren't about to stop staff from criticizing her, another network source said.

Still, the public thrashing she received on Today the next morning was extraordinary, and there was little question that it had it the approval of network brass.

That became even clearer at the town hall meeting, where Lack indicated that NBC has not put the matter behind it.

"As we sort through this with Megyn," he said, "let there be no doubt that this is a workplace in which you need to be proud and in which we respect each other in all the ways we know is foundational to who we are."

Kelly, who is midway through a three-year contract, did not respond to a request for comment. A source close to her told The Daily Beast that Lack took advantage of the blackface gaffe to punish her.

"This was Andy taking revenge on Megyn," the source said. "It was payback."

A former NBC staffer who worked with Kelly told The Daily Beast that NBC is angry that Kelly called for an independent investigation into the network's handling of Ronan Farrow's reporting on Harvey Weinstein, which never aired.

"They are trying to use this as a platform to restore their credibility," the staffer said. "They have never before come out as strongly as this.

"For them to have had it on Nightly and the TODAY show, it would have been discussed by Andy and Noah. She was going very hard on the #MeToo stuff and they didn't like that and they couldn't stop her and now this is payback."

Lack's blunt comments put distance between the network and Kelly just as, according to two sources, some guests cancelled appearances on her morning show. The show, "Megyn Kelly Today," has suffered from sluggish ratings.

The town hall also allowed Lack—who has come under fire for sexual misconduct incidents within the network and NBC's handling of the Harvey Weinstein story—to reassert his journalistic bona fides.

His comments may also signal that he is souring on the very expensive gamble he and NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke made on Kelly when they poached her from Fox News.

Others at NBC had previously vented about Kelly. Earlier this month, Kelly angered some at the network when she made eyebrow-raising comment about Today host Matt Lauer in an Us magazine interview.

Asked if she thought Lauer could make a comeback after being fired over sexual misconduct allegations, she said, "I know too much that others don't know."

Soon after, sources described as NBC veterans were quoted in the New York Post's Page Six column, accusing Kelly of "milking the #MeToo movement."

Kelly's relationship with NBC has been rocky almost from the get-go. While she has gotten praise and attention for her aggressive #MeToo coverage, a number of missteps had many questioning whether Lack's very expensive gamble on the former Fox News host was a bad bet.

She vanished from a Sunday evening magazine-style show after interviews with Russian president Vladimir Putin and right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones were widely panned.

There was a cringe-worthy interview with Jane Fonda in which she asked about the actress' plastic surgery. After Fonda publicly lambasted her, Kelly responded by an on-air clapback in which she brought up Fonda's Vietnam-era nickname, Hanoi Jane.

she QUESTIONED while wearing black makeup on your face is racist?? !!!!! GET HER!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Didn't hear the comment in its original context, but cant believe someone would make a statement like that and especially someone in her career. Most folks are likely aware of the negative connotations of that.

This PC culture is nothing more than a bunch of horseshyt.
You have the right to say something offensive and I have the right to be offended. That's as far as it goes under the first Amendment. There is no statute for PC gestapo.

Caustic Burno":3f16tw72 said:
You have the right to say something offensive and I have the right to be offended. That's as far as it goes under the first Amendment. There is no statute for PC gestapo.

It boils down to what advertisers are willing to pay for. You're absolutely right, we've moved away from being able to be offended without it affecting our lives. However, if someone wants to truly be offensive there are outlets. Youtube, Facebook, Cattle Today, all offer a great platform to say racially insensitive stuff and publicly. My problem is that a person says one thing and their life is ruined by social media. I'm not sure that's OK. We need to start preaching "Sticks and stones" again. All I can say is that I'm glad Facebook, Twitter, and smartphones weren't around when I was young, dumb and drunk.

https://tenor.com/view/triggered-gif-9536199[/url] ?

Fantastic example of sanpaku. An immediate physical indication that you are possibly dealing with someone irrational, psychotic and/or dangerous.

There's some really insecure people that don't like how they look in this country. I'll have to leave the PC stuff to someone else. I call it like I see it, and really don't give a dang what anyone thinks or says.

greybeard":1rpqzv8h said:

bball":1rpqzv8h said:
Fantastic example of sanpaku. An immediate physical indication that you are possibly dealing with someone irrational, psychotic and/or dangerous.

Or someone with Graves disease.......

Her hair is Harlow gold
Her lips are sweet surprise
Her hands are never cold
She's got Bette Davis eyes
She'll turn the music on you
You won't have to think twice
She's pure as New York snow
She got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you, she'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious, and she knows just what it
Takes to make a pro blush
She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs, she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll let you take her home
It whets her appetite
She'll lay you on the throne
She got Bette Davis eyes
She'll take a tumble on you
Roll you like you were dice
Until you come out blue

She'll expose you, when she snows you
Off your feet with the crumbs, she throws you
She's ferocious and she knows just what it
All the boys think she's a spy, she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll tease you
She'll unease you
Just to please you
She'll expose you
When she snows you
She knows you, she's got Bette Davis Eyes

This is not a recent phenomenon! The taboo on making racial remarks was on the radar screen 50 years ago. During news coverage of one of the pioneer space flights back in the 60s, a news commentator got in trouble for making a racial remark about sending a monkey into space. I don't remember what it was but it made national news back in the 60s.

It is hard to imagine anyone not being aware of the consequences of making disparaging racial remarks.

I remember a supervisory level employee being transferred and demoted because he addressed a black subordinate as "boy". That was 35 years ago! They considered firing him.

True Grit Farms":2r669v5a said:
I call it like I see it, and really don't give a dang what anyone thinks or says.

I trust you. You didn't need to affirm it. But calling it like you see it does not mean you are correct. All I need to say is "Heterozygous Black".

:cboy:

greybeard":1e4z2dgc said:
bball":1e4z2dgc said:
https://tenor.com/view/triggered-gif-9536199[/url] ?

Or someone with Graves disease.......

Her hair is Harlow gold
Her lips are sweet surprise
Her hands are never cold
She'll turn the music on you
You won't have to think twice
She's pure as New York snow
She got Bette Davis eyes

She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs, she's got Bette Davis eyes

She'll let you take her home
It whets her appetite
She'll lay you on the throne
She got Bette Davis eyes
She'll take a tumble on you
Roll you like you were dice
Until you come out blue

She'll expose you, when she snows you
Off your feet with the crumbs, she throws you
She's ferocious and she knows just what it

She'll tease you
She'll unease you
Just to please you
She'll expose you
When she snows you
She knows you, she's got Bette Davis Eyes

Fantastic song!
Based on that image you linked, i highly doubt she's in any danger of a thyroid storm.
:lol2:
Sanpaku always stood out to me because of my USBP training. We received a great class on body language. In that class, we were presented with a video that documented multiple instances of sanpaku when various people were being interviewed. A few of the interviews were with Manson and Wuoros. It was eerie to observe. They would 'seem' normal in their voice and body language. However, as soon as a trigger question was asked, the sanpaku was immediate and they would shift into an angry, indignant or hostile mode. It was just something we were educated to be aware of in the field. Someone presenting with sanpaku(especially with the upper third white) can easily and rapidly become a very real threat.
It was interesting you chose the word triggered because it is quite accurate.

Bright Raven":t7o07muh said:
True Grit Farms":t7o07muh said:
I call it like I see it, and really don't give a dang what anyone thinks or says.

I trust you. You didn't need to affirm it. But calling it like you see it does not mean you are correct. All I need to say is "Heterozygous Black".

:cboy:
Oh yea, I forgot there's an special exemption to the definition of heterozygous and homozygous when it applies to cattle.

Well, she was known as a "right" talking head but seemingly failed to bring her audience with her when she left her prior employer; botched a few interviews when she tried to re-brand herself as a journalist; and has also stepped in some doodoo. If they cancel her show, it looks like it will be for a combination of reasons.
At any rate, I wish they'd hire on-air people for their skills, not for being (alleged) lookers. And they often find a way to toss them (esp the women) overboard when they hit a certain age, don't they?

Latest posts