RA vs RP

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I finally realized that I honestly can't tell the difference between Red Angus and Red Poll. I've tried to compare pics on the internet and I'm still dumber'n a sack of hammers and still can't tell the difference between the two breeds. :oops:

So with that, say there was two pens side-by-side with a Red Poll bovine and a Red Angus bovine, but there was nothing, no info panels or EPDs or anything like that in sight, nor nobody around who could tell me which was which.

How can I tell the difference (with practice of course) between the two breeds, just by looking at the animal?

I hope I'm not the only one who can't tell the difference... :shock: :oops:

Thanks for your input.

If you see the two breeds next to each other in real life, you'll immediately see the difference, hard not to recognise an angus head. Red poll also is more dairyish with lighter muscler and finer bone.

I'm no expert on the less popular breeds, but if you look at the Oklahoma State University Breeds page, there is a huge difference in the animals. Check it out!

Like I said I wasn't looking all that close enough. (Thanks for the link farmwife)...I know I'm in for some scolding, I can feel it... :(

The big problem comes in when you're comparing an excellent RP and a mediocre RA.

I'm not a very good picture taker, but I do have my first registered red poll calf born 7/10 and will try to post some pics of them tomorrow.

I also have 2 bull calves 5 mos old, half red poll x herf/angus but they both still have a red poll head. I've also got some char x red poll heifer calves.

Anyway, I'll try to get them there tomorrow in the pic gallery.

Like was mentioned before their head is different and slimmer from the eyes to the nose. I guess the dual breed of milk/beef makes them more "funnel butt" as its called. Also, the red poll is a deeper red (I liken it to burgundy but not that deep) compared to "most" red angus that are a bit orange red.

I will say that I was disappointed in my heifers from about 8 months of age to 16 months of age.... I'd look at mine and then look at aged red poll cows and think good grief these girls don't look anything like their mothers or other red poll cows. But actually this spring/summer they've sort of "bloomed" and I'm really pleased with them. I have 4 - 2 yr old cows and 6 yearling heifers. They are very gentle and good mothers. 2 yr olds weigh about 900-950 pounds.

Well, I sold a one in May that would not get bred and she was 26 months old, weighed 900 lbs.

Yearlings weigh around 650 lbs (I went and asked the hubby as well).

Last year when I bought the heifer calves (who are now yearlings)

#51 born 4/30 weaned 9/15 @ 374
#63 born 4/27 weaned 9/15 @ 380
#58 born 3/14 weaned 08/09 @ 443
#57 born 3/07 weaned 08/09 @ 451
#60 born 03/04 weaned 08/09 @ 489
#55 born 2/24 weaned 08/09 @449

They were on fescue pasture all summer and the people I bought them from want to wean early as they had a six month old heifer calf get bred one year so they like to pull them no later than 5 months of age.

The aged red poll cows go around 1100-1300 lbs and for a frame 5, wouldn't that be about normal??

My red poll bull at 22 months weighed 1200 pounds (was born 6/06 and bw 83, according to wt tape, weighed 417 on 10/17 and 524 on 11/21/05) and maybe I've done wrong, but I've not pushed any grain at him.

The people I bought from kept their herd bull until he was 10 y/o and I think they said he weighed 1800 lbs.

I put the bull in when the heifers are 12 months. I have a pelvic exam done and the vet also tells me then if they are cycling or not.

That's why I think crossing them to Charolais will be about right, should give me some excellent momma cows. I guess my goals are a little different at this point since we want to retain the nicer heifer calves.

I bought my first Red Polls last year and I am very happy with them, I plan on culling out the angus and replacing them with red polls.

tuck":nijaezuu said:
I bought my first Red Polls last year and I am very happy with them, I plan on culling out the angus and replacing them with red polls.

Most people would do the same once the bought some red polls

In answer to the original question there are some distinct characteristics

The red poll will have a very light colored nose where a red angus will be dark. The inside of the red poll ears will be lighter colored

Red Poll will have a white switch

You can see the poll area on the head of a red poll where a red angus head is more round at the top

I frequently hear people say they have trouble telling the difference but with experience you can tell at a glance or at long distance. They are two different types of cattle and I think Red Polls often are disparaged unfairly in a direct comparison. The gentle nature and ease of handling of the Red Poll is unmatched and they are excellent mothers and milkers with as few calving difficulties as any breed I am familiar with. They are known for tenderness and meat quality and cross well with most any beef breed. Like I said, two different types of cattle and I love my Red Polls on a fairly small family operated operation.

RED POLL
- dark cherry red
- white tail switch
- generally smaller framed
- generally more dairy in appearance (finer boned, less muscled, more angular in appearance)

RED ANGUS
- orange red (darker than a limo but lighter than a shorthorn)
- red tail switch (or sometimes black, and occasionally white)
- generally larger framed
- generally more beefy in appearance (heavier bone, more muscle, more blocky in shape)

When you have the two standing in front of you it is easy to tell the difference.

Please note I have said generally because there are some breeders out there turning off well muscled, larger framed RPs, and I am sure there are some RAs lacking muscle. If you were to have a pen of very poor RA heifers alongside some of the better RPs, you might have a bit of trouble.

Jovid":3vx9j6br said:
IluvABbeef":3vx9j6br said:
Thanks for the info everyone. Now I know. :lol: :)

Can I intrest you in some Red Poll cattle?

:shock: You could try. Maybe you can start by pming me some pics of your red poll cattle. ;-) I always like lookin at other folks' cattle, anyway.

Latest posts