Questions on Brangus bulls.

Help Support CattleToday:

phillse

Reaction score
I have been looking at breeding a few cows to brangus bulls to produce F1 replacement females. I have found a few bulls I am considering. If you have experience with Brangus cattle, I would appreciate any comments you might have about these bull or suggestions of bulls to use.

Bull 1: CCR Sleep Easy9L2
http://www.semexusa.com/beef/beef.aspx?breed=BR&ID=1609

Bull 2: CCR Sleep Easy 79P
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brangusepd.asp?ID=139

Bull 3:BT Mercedes 196/X2
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brangusepd.asp?ID=8

Bull 4:Typesetter of Brinks 535G7
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brangusepd.asp?ID=70

Santas & Durham Reds, thank you for your candor and honesty. I am going to be crossing these bulls over Shorthorn cattle. THe goal is to get a great maternal female that has moderate birth weights, adequate growth, adequated milk, and adequate carcass quality. I personally prefer red cattle but I know that the market i am trying to target wants black cattle, with just a little ear. I beleive my shorthorn catle will give docility, carcass quality, maternal traits, and growth. I hope to use Brangus to reduce hair (my shorthorns are not excessively hairy and do not have any more hair than most of the purebred Angus cattle in the area), improve heat tolerance, change color to black (most of my shorthorns are solid red) but at the same time not reduce functional maternal traits needed by the commercial producer. I beleive a Brangus Shorthorn female may be one of the better british type females, for the climate and for market acceptance. They will offer about the most options for a commercial producer as for as the type and breed of bulls that can be used.

phillse":3i76fk90 said:
Santas & Durham Reds, thank you for your candor and honesty. I am going to be crossing these bulls over Shorthorn cattle. THe goal is to get a great maternal female that has moderate birth weights, adequate growth, adequated milk, and adequate carcass quality. I personally prefer red cattle but I know that the market i am trying to target wants black cattle, with just a little ear. I beleive my shorthorn catle will give docility, carcass quality, maternal traits, and growth. I hope to use Brangus to reduce hair (my shorthorns are not excessively hairy and do not have any more hair than most of the purebred Angus cattle in the area), improve heat tolerance, change color to black (most of my shorthorns are solid red) but at the same time not reduce functional maternal traits needed by the commercial producer. I beleive a Brangus Shorthorn female may be one of the better british type females, for the climate and for market acceptance. They will offer about the most options for a commercial producer as for as the type and breed of bulls that can be used.
if you want to add some ear to the calves.an your wanting a bull for shorthorns.look at putting a beefmaster bull on them.now you can get a black beefmaster bull.

if you want to add some ear to the calves.an your wanting a bull for shorthorns.look at putting a beefmaster bull on them.now you can get a black beefmaster bull.

thank you for your comments.

I agree that would add more ear. however, I do not feel that is a better cross.

I do not want paints and brangus is less likely to give me paint colors. Also, the brangus shorthorn cross would be more uniform.

phillse":36njasjm said:

thank you for your comments.

I agree that would add more ear. however, I do not feel that is a better cross.

I do not want paints and brangus is less likely to give me paint colors. Also, the brangus shorthorn cross would be more uniform.
with the brangus your adding brimmer an angus to the shorthorn mix.an have dang near a beefmaster bull.the only differance is the angus.brangus bull on shorties could still throw some spots.

quote]with the brangus your adding brimmer an angus to the shorthorn mix.an have dang near a beefmaster bull.the only differance is the angus.brangus bull on shorties could still throw some spots.[/quote]

Yes, that is one way of looking at it. I might still get paints but the with brangus you are stacking the odds a little bit more in your favor of getting solid colors.

Just curious but where did Black Beefmasters come from. Most animals of hereford, shorthorn and Brhaman blood i have seen are red, red paints, red roans or brindel tiger stripes. So where is the black color coming from.

We all have our opinions and we share similar yet different opinions. Can you honestly say that a brangus shorthorn cross would not be just as good as a beefmaster, shorthorn cross.

Once again thank you for your input. I respect your knowledge and your opinions. But I have made my mind up to use brangus as the breed of choice to cross with the shorthorns.

Do you have any experience with the bulls I have asked for opinions about. If so please share. otherwise give the beefmaster thing a break, no sense discussing the subject when I do not see things your way and you do not see them mine. We are at a stalemate.

phillse":3c7pzko7 said:
quote]with the brangus your adding brimmer an angus to the shorthorn mix.an have dang near a beefmaster bull.the only differance is the angus.brangus bull on shorties could still throw some spots.

Yes, that is one way of looking at it. I might still get paints but the with brangus you are stacking the odds a little bit more in your favor of getting solid colors.

Just curious but where did Black Beefmasters come from. Most animals of hereford, shorthorn and Brhaman blood i have seen are red, red paints, red roans or brindel tiger stripes. So where is the black color coming from.

We all have our opinions and we share similar yet different opinions. Can you honestly say that a brangus shorthorn cross would not be just as good as a beefmaster, shorthorn cross.

Once again thank you for your input. I respect your knowledge and your opinions. But I have made my mind up to use brangus as the breed of choice to cross with the shorthorns.

Do you have any experience with the bulls I have asked for opinions about. If so please share. otherwise give the beefmaster thing a break, no sense discussing the subject when I do not see things your way and you do not see them mine. We are at a stalemate.[/quote]yes your right you have your mind made up on using brangus bulls or shortie cows.an no im not pushing the beefmasters or putting brangus down.just going on what you say you want todo with your calf crop.

Did you look at any of the Mound Creek bulls? I don't know much about the lines, but I also heard that Center Ranch has some good stock. I see that as one of your choices.

phillse":2jffg5us said:

I agree Brangus will do exactly what you are looking for.

We run Brangus down here.

if it was open to suggestions I would have suggested a Santa. I am doing something similar by infusing Durham Reds into my Santa herd.

Beefmasters are 1/2 brahman and would provide more ear than you are probably wanting and you are right in that you will get a more predictable color with Brangus.

Have you looked into an Angus plus bull instead of a brangus? Since they will be crossbreds anyway you may want to look into them. Then you could limit your ear even more.

We do a lot of AIing in our herd as well as flushig. and the bulls you have posted are some nice bulls,granted mostly out of date bulls, i think their could be better bulls for what you are looking to do. the 607L11 bull at camp cooley is the most consistent bull in the breed today. he throws power and groth. also his milk is consistently going up(epd's) also you could look at the MC New Direction000 bull. he was the #1 ribeye bull in the breed and their is a lot of milk in that cow family. you might would want to call Ultimate genetics and tell them what you want and they might could help you more than i

use cow creek bulls on our commercial op. very pleased. (sleep easy, INtegrity,314c all good bulls.) should visit their next bull sale in oct

Phillse-
-

It is obvious from this quote that you have already made up your mind, probably some time ago, to do exactly what you want to do! If so, what information are you seeking in regard to the Brangus Bulls that you listed?

Are you concentrating on Phenotype only in seeking your F1 Replacement females?

Or - are you considering Growth and/or Carcass traits and characteristics?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2b4wsi50 said:
It is obvious from this quote that you have already made up your mind, probably some time ago, to do exactly what you want to do! If so, what information are you seeking in regard to the Brangus Bulls that you listed?

Are you concentrating on Phenotype only in seeking your F1 Replacement females?

Or - are you considering Growth and/or Carcass traits and characteristics?

DOC HARRIS

I am interested in growth and carcass traits, phenotype is only part of the picture as far as I am concerned, and by phenotype I do not mean just color but balance, movement, feminity. Also concerned about maternal traits.

I guess you could say I am looking for a bull to use that for the most part is a complete blanaced package.

Thanks for your comments doc.

andybob":1u5b54o4 said:
Why not go for solid red for your F1 damline, then use black as your terminal sire? this will give you a wider choice of breeds to use for your F1.

Andy, I agree red would be just fine if I was putting them back in my herd. However, I am not planning on keeping the females in my herd, but rather marketing them to local producers as repalcement females. I have sold a few Black Simnetal x Shorthorn crosses, they work really well but many people fear too much milk from that cross.

we used a Sleep Easy 196M5 bull on some of our momma cows(commercial brangus/angus). no calving problems, and the calves grew out fine. purchased him from cow creek.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2u7dfebg said:
ANGUS IS HOW brangus and beef masters got black. Its the same way charolais, salers, gelbvieh, simmental, also got black. There is angus waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the wood pile sumwhars.
your right beefmaster went black from a breeder that was on the grade up program.an thats how beefmasters turned black.i wont buy 1st or 2nd cross beefmaster cows or heifers.because i know they are on the grade up program.

Latest posts