Questions from a swede?

Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
I wonder what EDP means?

And what Rib eye 14.6 means? Like in this sentence:Look at his carcass values….6mm, 14.6 Rib eye with AA…all on his first birthday !!!!

And i wonder if it common to chooce bulls due to their marbeling and tenderness? Maybe i have missunderstod what i have read.

Try explain without to much technical language.
Thanks!

edde_1":54n9ogjf said:
I wonder what EDP means?

And what Rib eye 14.6 means? Like in this sentence:Look at his carcass values….6mm, 14.6 Rib eye with AA…all on his first birthday !!!!

And i wonder if it common to chooce bulls due to their marbeling and tenderness? Maybe i have missunderstod what i have read.

Try explain without to much technical language.
Thanks!

EPD=Estimated Progeny Difference - A means to compare genetics of one animal against another.

14.6 square inch ribeye

Yes, marbling and ribeye are traits that are desired because our meat grading system uses them for choosing the higher grades.

So, with ribeye, the higher the # the better? What about the other (?stats?) BW/WW etc.?
How do you read EPDs AND how do you get your animals EPD?
I know an animals EPA is above/below the "ave", and you get the avg by combining ALL the animals data, right?, and that should be a base to go by.
Also could someone explain all the data, a breeder, rancher should look for; .i.e. BW should be hi or low, WW should be XX above/below avg EPDs.
Thanks for the lesson.

ronay0":5h2e4et4 said:
So, with ribeye, the higher the # the better? What about the other (?stats?) BW/WW etc.?
How do you read EPDs AND how do you get your animals EPD?
I know an animals EPA is above/below the "ave", and you get the avg by combining ALL the animals data, right?, and that should be a base to go by.
Also could someone explain all the data, a breeder, rancher should look for; .i.e. BW should be hi or low, WW should be XX above/below avg EPDs.
Thanks for the lesson.

Go to the website for whatever breed(s) you're intersted in and they'll have explanations of what the various EPDs mean, the statistics for each EPD, including trends, averages, etc.

dun

Noone can answer specific EPD questions, without a breed, because they are all different.
You have to know the BREED averages to know if the EPD's you are looking at is good or bad.
Generally, you want BW numbers lower, WW & YW higher.
Like Dun said, you need to go to the breed's (you are interested in) web page.
Simmental is: http://www.Simmental.org
I'm sure if you ask a specific breed's address, someone will post it.

BW low WW high YW high Milk high etc.

But I agree you really need to know your breed average in order to know if a set of EPDs are good.

Each environment, management methods and marketing affects what is desireable for any given set of EPDs. For terminal use all you really need worry about is calving ease that is compatible with your cow herd, WW, YW and if therre is a quality grade, the marbeling. But even the WW and YW depends on when and how you market the calves. For a non-terminal sire you need to watch for the daughters calving ease, milk (within the range of what your forage/feed base will allow) fertility and possibly WW and YW if you are looking to stay within specific parameters for the weights of the cow herd.
It's easier to select for a terminal bull then it is for a maternal or a do-all bull.

dun

Latest posts