Questions about raising natural beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I've seen websites of farms that claim all natural Angus beef or whatever the kind. No antibiotics, hormones, etc. How do they do it? For example, how do they keep their cattle from getting sick and/or safe to eat?

All natural and certified organic are two different things.

'All natural' does not have as many/same restrictions as 'certified organic'.

Until some people's calves go to 'market' they could be considered 'all natural' because they have not used implants, fed feeds or minerals containing antibiotics or growth hormones, etc.

Good herd-health management and prevention of as many 'problems' as possible is one way to maintain an 'all natural' or 'organic' herd.

I am no expert on the specific rules regarding organic, but I do believe that certain vaccines, and medical treatments are approved for use in herds that are 'certified organic' or 'all natural'.

Not trying to be a wise-guy here, if you use the search feature at the top of the page, you will find there are many threads related to this topic.

Katherine

Growing market for "natural" beef...we don't implant, no antibiotics and don't spray the pastures. Keeping a clean farm helps in having healthy animals...vaccinations need to be maintained...some don't but I wouldn't have their animals on our place.
The USDA has no interpertation of the term "natrural" in fact it has no definition and is not used in USDA regulations other than saying that it has no juristiction in that area.
Our natural beef market has almost doubled every year and the folks do not mind paying $4.50 per pound for lean, natural great tasting ground beef. Our Marck freezer beef production has been sold since Nov and we'te filling our April and May list.
Good advetizing and a open farm is critical...keep the burger lean and the beef great tasting and the customer informed and you should have good success.
ANd that is my two bits worth....asked for or not....DMc

A Closed Herd Helps As Long As The Closed Herd Is Healthy To Start With Also There Are Things You Have To Do To Be Certified