Questions about Lutalyse / AI

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I gave all of my cows a shot of Lutalyse Wednesday at 6:00 PM. When should I typically start seeing signs of heat? What are the most obvious signs that they are ready to breed? Many thanks! Bob

With lut and nothing else, some may start showing heat as early as 24 hours, other up to 72 hours. Some none at all because they were not at the right part of their cycle for the lute to work. That all said I had one that came in 12 hours after the lute, but she'ld been given GnRH 7 days before the lute.
Standing to be ridden is the surest sign of heat, breed 12 hours after observing standing heat. But heat detection is the hardest part of AI. If you know your cows it's easier to tell. One old girl here will chin for a couple of hours and have a discharge but she's such a which no one will try to ride her and she never rides any one esle, just the chinning.

dun

Assuming a 21 day cycle this is roughly what lutalyse does.

Cows on day 1-6 of cycle lutalyse does not work. The CL has not formed

Cows day 7-15 lutalyse will bring in heat 3-5 days.

Cows day 16-21 of cycle will be in heat within 5 days anyway.

I like to bring the cows in and heat check and breed for 7 days and then give lutalyse to the ones I have not bred. Then if they are all cycling you should get all the unbred cows all in heat within 5 days of the shot of lutalyse.

Latest posts