Question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Could you make a living on cattle with only 40 acres? Could someone give me information on this? Also what is the price of beef going for at this time?..Thank you..

[email protected]

Depends on how much it costs you to live but it is not very likely. If a person can net $100(+) annually per cow over the long term they are doing well. I am not sure where your 40 acres are or what your forage base is but you can figure that if you are in a high rainfall area (36 in of rain or mare annually) you could run as much as 40 cows but if you are in a dry area (10-15) inches and do not irrigate you may only be able to run 5-10 cows. Live beef prices are good now with fat cattle selling for $0.85/lb or better. This price will run in a cycle that lasts about 10 years. Right now we are at the peak of the cycle and the price will go down from here with a predicted bottom in 2007 where prices could be in the $0.60/lb or lower.

[email protected]

Scott's answer is right on the money. If you've developed a reputation in some part of the purebred or show cattle business, you MIGHT be able to do it. But such reputations take years to make. The actual return on each commercial calf is not a lot of money from year to year. Though, things do look good for the next few years.

> Depends on how much it costs you
> to live but it is not very likely.
> If a person can net $100(+)
> annually per cow over the long
> term they are doing well. I am not
> sure where your 40 acres are or
> what your forage base is but you
> can figure that if you are in a
> high rainfall area (36 in of rain
> or mare annually) you could run as
> much as 40 cows but if you are in
> a dry area (10-15) inches and do