Question -- Hi-Tensile wire on T-Posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

cmjust0

Reaction score
I have a T-Post concreted into a dip in the terrain, with wood posts uphill on either side. I need a post in that specific spot in order to bring the wire down into the dip, and I used a t-post because I couldn't get a 6" hole there more than a foot without dynamite. It's concreted in for weight, so the wire doesn't pull it out of the ground....hopefully.

It's a short run, and I got three wires run and tightened on Sunday. I used the yellow, 'claw' type insulators (click here to see) on the T-Post, and when I looked out Monday, I noticed that the bottom insulator had let go of the wire. It's too tight to force back into the insulator, and even if I could, I know it would just let go again.

I've got a lot of T-Posts to drive in order to complete this fence, so I'm wondering if anybody knows of a T-Post insulator that's tough enough to withstand the strain of HT fence??

Heavy wire slipped inside a piece of rubber hose.

Some of those ceramic type insulators might hold it also.

I find the best for t-posts is the wrap around the entire post design rather than the clip in the front design (they work well on some post & are too tight on others & in time just break due to the stress). In either case the pin lock system is the best - black UV protected plastic - Dare make as good an insulator that I've used.

I use Dare insulators as well on high tensile fence. I agree don't go with the front clip-ons only. I've had them sheer off in a fast hurry.

The ones I used are the type that clip all the way around the back. They didn't let go of the post, they let go of the wire. The 'claw' that holds wire down apparently bent upward enough to let the wire slip away.

That said, it looks like full wrap Dare pinlocks are the way to go.

Y'alls help is much appreciated!

One more question... Where are you guys getting Dare products?? They've got a website, but I didn't see a link to any retailers. Can they be found in stores, or would I have to order directly from the company?

One more question... Where are you guys getting Dare products?? They've got a website, but I didn't see a link to any retailers. Can they be found in stores, or would I have to order directly from the company?
Around these parts, Dare products can be had a Rural King or
Tractor Supply, might try a search on these to see if there is one in the area.

We've got a tractor supply, but they're pretty hit and miss when it comes to what's in stock. I'll check with them, and if not, I'll order them from somewhere else. The other farm store in the area is a Southern States co-op, and they keep bankers' hours and are darn near as snotty. I pretty much avoid them at any cost.

I was talking to the manager at SS one day, trying to determine what length T-posts to buy from them... I asked how tall the five and a half stood once it was in the ground, simply because I wasn't sure exactly where the top of the spade was -- 12", 18", ??... His sarcastic response was "Well, now, that would depend on how deep you drive it, huh?"

Now, bear in mind that there were other customers standing around. I simply said "Well, the correct depth is to the top of the spade. I'm a little surprised you didn't know that." He got kinda embarrassed and said "Well, uh yeah, I knew that and you're right, ummm, let's see here if I can look it up for you ......"

LOOK IT UP, he says! :lol: After trying to make me -- just some young punk kid to him, I'm sure -- look stupid, he didn't even know the answer himself... :roll:

Our local farm supply store carries Dare products (Southern States affiliate) & so does the large hardware store in nearby Lynchburg, & as already mentioned Tractor Supply. Jeffers sells Dare products also - Pinlocks for T-Posts are 6.55/25. If you can't get what you want I have had sucess emailing them in the past.

Do you have your wire too tight? I still remember an instructer at a grazing seminar saying, "It's high tensile, not high tension". Those nice tight wires look really good but when you're dealing with hilly ground you may have to have a little slack because of the tension on the low posts. We've used pin-lock insulators and the snap-ons in these situations; tighten those wires too much and neither will hold.

It's entirely possible that they're too tight. I'd like to be able to get this one back on the post without having to splice in extra wire for slack, but I'll do whatever needs to be done.

I probably won't tighten the rest up quite so much, though.

cmjust0":uvu03g3h said:
It's entirely possible that they're too tight. I'd like to be able to get this one back on the post without having to splice in extra wire for slack, but I'll do whatever needs to be done.

I probably won't tighten the rest up quite so much, though.

Just back the tightener off a turn.

I didn't really think that was an option with inline strainers. I'm not sure I've got enough hands to hold it steady, crank it forward to get the flapper out from under the teeth on the spool, then pull and hold the flapper back out of the way, and then remove the strainer handle to let some wire out.

I'm pretty much a one man show. I have a hard enough time with the simple task of holding the wire and crimping on sleeves as it is.. :lol:

cmjust0":2mkow96k said:
I didn't really think that was an option with inline strainers. I'm not sure I've got enough hands to hold it steady, crank it forward to get the flapper out from under the teeth on the spool, then pull and hold the flapper back out of the way, and then remove the strainer handle to let some wire out.

I'm pretty much a one man show. I have a hard enough time with the simple task of holding the wire and crimping on sleeves as it is.. :lol:

Pretty easy, you'll see.