Question for those who AI...

Help Support CattleToday:

DavisBeefmasters

Reaction score
We don't A.I., so I'm curious for those who do... how do you verify low fertility of the cow? And I'm thinking this because we palpated the fall calving group recently and sure enough the ones I forced into a heat cycle last year came up open this year. (Now why I shot them with Lutalyse is because I just HAD to mess with mother nature because of the calves these particular cows produce... but now those cows successfully have wheels under them -- and their little heifer calves too due to likely future fertility issue and/or just not good enough for breeding stock).

So I am wondering, how do those who AI know if you have a fertility issue? Just pondering while fixing fences.

We have a simple method. If they come back into heat after being AIed twice or if they come up open at preg check. Those are fertility problems and grow wheels. The beauty of it is that after you do it a few generations you have almost no fertility problems.

We AI'd for a number of years back before CIDR's and Lute were available. The girls got 2 chances, and if she didn't settle after the 2nd AI she got a one-way ticket.

i will AI them once and turn the bull out. they go on the long ride if open.

When you strickly AI, it's easy to find the "low fertility" cows, they come up open. If you use a bull, and they come up open, they really have a problem. It's much easier to settle cows with a bull :shock:
If you bred your cows "on timed AI" instead of observed heats, than that is NOT a low fertility cow, just didn't settle. You can only expect like 50-60% settled if you use a "timed AI". Now, if you turned a bull out afterwards & they had time to come back into heat. Than, yup, they should grow wheels.

I have found that some cattle just do not AI very well but do just fine with a bull. I have had heifers that would not AI. I put them with a bull, they settled first time. The following years they AI'd just fine. I don't think all can be blamed on fertility problems. Could be nerves, weather, or who knows what else. Women, never could figure them out. ;-)

Sometimes it pays to re-evaluate you AI abilities and techniques as well. Make sure you haven't developed any bad habits, are not getting careless with sanitation and clean up. Even small things like that can hurt your percentages when AI'ing.

I use CIDR for a timed AI, and then use a clean up bull. If the cow is open or doesn't calve within 45 days of the AI due date, she normally gets shipped.

I think a heat synchronization using CIDRs and then simply heat detecting and AI is what I will do this year. I have had mixed results using the timed AI on cows. Great luck on heifers, however.

Tis may sound too obvious but bulls are half of the equation for natural breeding. Not all that unusual to have one or more bulls at the same time that are weak breeders or infertile. I using only one or two bulls, they could be the problem

glesamiz

Well said TexasBred.
In talking to a lot of breeders who AI only, I have found a common saying. If it don't take the first time breed it again. If it takes the second time great. If it does it every year ta ta for ever. Makes for a herd of quick and easy breeders. Seems to work for them.
Not using a clean up bull I am starting to agree. If it takes the first time excellent. If it doesn't ok maybe it just was something that happened. But if it doesn't take again or it does it next year and everyone else takes then bye bye. To the auction with you. There are plenty of other excellent cattle who will breed the first time (unless I screw up) out there to be messing with non or hard breeders.
Just my opinion.
Double R

glesamiz":2sib5hdy said:
Tis may sound too obvious but bulls are half of the equation for natural breeding. Not all that unusual to have one or more bulls at the same time that are weak breeders or infertile. I using only one or two bulls, they could be the problem

glesamiz

I guess I'm missing what this comment has to do with AI'ing? Thanks for the clarification.

Latest posts