Question for Simmi Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
If you have a blaze faced, black simmental bull and cross him on angus cows, how many calves will have his blaze face? 25% - 50% - 75% - 100%. Not a trick question. I'd think that white face would be very dominate........

I would say none of them as long as the angus are purebred.

The spotter gene Simmental's have is not like the white face on a Hereford.

The sire and dam must both possess the spotter gene if I understand it right.

Blaze face and spots are not same thing. It's usually a 50% chance of them getting a blaze faced.

There are more than one set of alleles affecting the white, where it would occur on the body and whether it would be a blaze or just a spot.

I agree with Kentuckyguy. I doubt you are going to get many.

Muddy":3m1p6ej0 said:
Blaze face and spots are not same thing. It's usually a 50% chance of them getting a blaze faced.
Wake up your dreaming Muddy. You'll be lucky to get 25% blazed faced calves on Angus cross cows. Been there and done that, a good Hereford bull will blaze face every calf.

CC,
It's a crapshoot.
In this fall's calf crop, all BWF SimAngus and % Simmental cows bred to a BWF Simmental sire produced calves with at least some white on their face... some also with a lot of chrome, others just a little on the face. Two black high % Angus cows, bred to same sire produced one black calf and one with a small amount of white on the face.
In seasons past, I've had BWF high % Simmental cows, bred to BWF Simmental sires, produce solid black calves.
IMO, there's no predicting the outcome...

I've been considering using a Simmi bull and find the i formation in these posts very informational. I saw an ad recently by a Simmi breeder that stated use a Simmi to get your baldies. So thought the % woukd be higher.

I think the old adage is to use a white faced bull with white back feet to get a blaze/white faced calves.

We had solid colored Simi bulls over commercial Angus, and got a lot of white on the belly, along with an occasional white marking or blaze on the face.

A black Simmi bull can produce white in his offspring. It may not show in the bull's phenotype but it is there lurking in the genes.

I had a solid black HPF Optimizer sired bull calf born here that was black but the genes for white are there.

The belly and udder white is common in Simmentals. I only have 4 in my herd that are solid black. I rarely produce a calf without some belly white around the naval and udder.

Bright Raven":3oi1obd8 said:
A black Simmi bull can produce white in his offspring. It may not show in the bull's phenotype but it is there lurking in the genes.

I had a solid black HPF Optimizer sired bull calf born here that was black but the genes for white are there.

The belly and udder white is common in Simmentals. I only have 4 in my herd that are solid black. I rarely produce a calf without some belly white around the naval and udder.
That's from the Hereford influence.

A few Certain Blaze Bulls will do it well but a very many won't. A Blaze Face Packin Heat son I had passed the blaze forward really well. Only white he had was right down the face.

I have never seen research on the face white, leg white or bellie white gene.
Spots are different. The white on the body (spots) is definitely a recessive gene. Must inherit from dam & sire to SHOW spots.
I have yet to fully figure out the other markings. And I've been doing this for 48 years. Must be a slow learner at multiplying cattle.

Latest posts