Question for Kansas ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I have always sold cattle at the Holton livestock exchange, simply because it is close. The other day I was looking at the sale results in Salina, and it seems like their prices are significantly higher. Commissions appear to be the same. Is this typical in Salina? Am I really missing out by not taking cattle there? I guess what I'm asking is if this is a known thing, or if it's seasonal, or if there is some other factor in play?

I've sold at Farmers & Ranchers (Salina) since 1982, 37 years. My thoughts on their sale prices: your reputation is everything and that is accomplished only by time. Your cattle and their health are known when your name appears on the consignment sheet. Mine sell well because buyers know they will be calm, can be gathered easily and vaccinations are legit. Salina is just like any barn, the prices they post are always the high sellers and there are a lot of cattle sold that didn't bring top $. I'm not trying to discourage you from selling in Salina. If you want, pm me and I'll give you a contact name & number.

I think loyalty is important. If you switch to selling your calves in Salina, are you willing to drive there with one old cow?
Years ago, I worked at the Sylvan sale barn but sold in Salina. Sylvan fired me because of that. Today, I still drive by Sylvan on my way to Salina.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
I think loyalty is important. If you switch to selling your calves in Salina, are you willing to drive there with one old cow?
Years ago, I worked at the Sylvan sale barn but sold in Salina. Sylvan fired me because of that. Today, I still drive by Sylvan on my way to Salina.

In the same breath, is there value in selling my best calves/cows in one place, and selling culls in another? I'd hate for someone to like my calves, then buy a yearling heifer because she came up open. Always a balance I assume.

Those questions are for you to answer.

Mike Samples is the manager. His cell # is
785-826-7884
Lisa Long is a rep in your area. Her # is
620-553-2351

Bcompton53 said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:

In the same breath, is there value in selling my best calves/cows in one place, and selling culls in another? I'd hate for someone to like my calves, then buy a yearling heifer because she came up open. Always a balance I assume.
That is exactly what i do. One barn gets several loads of nice uniform weaned calves. Another gets all the randoms and cows. Took them heifers that didn't measure last week.

Latest posts