Question About Purebred Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
:help: We bought some purebred red angus bred heifers last fall, they were bred to a purebred bull and were bought with papers from a very reputable breeder. One of our heifer calves has white on her belly, back by the udder, just a small patch. I thought that Red Angus were solid red with no white. :shock: Is this a normal occurence? Is she OK to be kept for breeding, how about the show ring? :help:

white is an accepted mark on ALL angus. been there since the birth of the breed. But the white cannot extend past certain areas.

Thanks Jake, that makes me feel much better. :D I was thinking that it had to be OK but I wanted to be sure. The only purebreds we've ever had are bulls and I've never seen white on any of them. The purebred thing is a whole new world in some ways. :shock:

Thanks dun, she is safe then. :D Thanks for the link too, I was trying to find info on the Canadian site but it seems to have less than the one you gave me.

Victoria":2bc40ejv said:
Thanks dun, she is safe then. :D Thanks for the link too, I was trying to find info on the Canadian site but it seems to have less than the one you gave me.

OOPS, hadn;t noticed you were in Canada. In Canada Reds and blacks are in the same association

dun

It used to be that they were "accepted" with small patches of white, not in front of the navel, but even at that time, reputable breeders severely culled those kinds out, in general. Anymore, nobody cares too much, so the white is creeping back in again, I really don't know why, it doesn't matter perhaps, or maybe, there just aren't as many reputable breeders around. You know with demand as high as it is for these Angus bulls, it makes it pretty hard to keep up appearances, when they are worth so much money.

mtnman

Latest posts