Question about Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

hrslvr

Reaction score
I have been reading alot of the posts and have noticed that some have said that Longhorns and anything that looks like a longhorn usually does not get a good price at the salebarn. Can anyone tell me why? I thought "lean beef" was getting more popular?

They normally don't do as well at the sale barn but we've done pretty good lately as all cattle prices have been up. We've gotten $1.00+ per pound for bull calves. Lean beef does sell well and that's a niche market that we would like to get into. I could sell every steer calf that I can raise and feed out but haven't expanded into this yet due to space to keep and feed them out. I do plan to set aside about a 20 acre field just to graze a few steers and then put them on grain to finish them out. I'll then take orders for 1/4, 1/2 or whole beef, deliver the live steer to the processor, give the desired cutting, processing instructions to the processor and then let the customer pick up the finished product.

Cattle buyers will use any way they can to get your calves at a discount. They typically do this with any thing does does not fit the current trend which right now is black and polled. They will pay less for spotted, horned cattle just because they can get away with it. They will also discount cattle with any off coloring, too much ear etc.-all because they can.

We usually do pretty good with the roper market. Once folks find out that you have them-they'll be calling. We also pool our ropers with other breeders in the area and sell them in lots of six to ten by size and horn length. Yes, they should be paying a premium for the lean beef and that is something that I feel that you have to do yourself-market them as lean beef. Then of course if you plan to raise pedigreed stock you have registered sales to consign them to as well as private treaty. We raise registered stock but not everything that's born is worthy as a registered animal. Crossbreds are usually easy to market as well. Crossbred heifers sell good around here to commercial cattlemen. Once they breed the 1/2 blood heifers to their Angus or Charolais bull they have 1/4 blood calves that just grow in leaps and bounds as well as passing the easy calving characteristics on to the offspring. Just some options to consider.

hrslvr,
Yes, Longhorns cost less than many other breeds. Why? Good question, I really don't know. For us, in the Texas panhandle, they are very cost-efficient. They do better on the forage we have here and tolerate the heat better than most breeds.

When we factor in the cost per head, we find we can buy more Longhorns...and have more calves, that sell for less. It all works out when vet bills and time doctoring are at a minimum with these hearty critters. For me, Longhorns are a favorite.

Longhorn meat is lean. And lean beef is becoming more popular. But since there is usually not much meat on longhorns that do go to the sale barn plus the meat there, because it is so lean, does not marble well. Add in the horns, which can cause bruising, and the fact that they arent solid colored, or atleast mostly solid colored like herefords or baldies, and those are other reasons they are docked. Also, they are docked because they can be.

I know many people that have done well selling their calves, before or after harvest, to people searching for lean meat. More niche market type of sales. That is one of the great things about Longhorns, there are many many different avenues of selling them (show, ropers, lean beef, etc...)

Hope this helps some.

Ryan

Thanks Rustler! And Rafter E and Ryan!

I plan on running registered longhorns with a very strict cull program with emphasis on conformation/health/disposition/horn/color in that order :) Anything that I cull from breeding would be sold but I didn't want to take less than they are worth just because they are longhorns! I will definetly keep in mind ropers. I wonder if longhorns work well for cutting?....hmmm.

hrslvr":qs123xkr said:
I plan on running registered longhorns with a very strict cull program with emphasis on conformation/health/disposition/horn/color in that order :)

As a registered longhorn breeder I would like to say thank you for that comment :) . I think that is a great order of emphasis. I know many individuals that raise longhorns that completely ignore the first point, and put nearly all on the last two points.

Ryan

Your welcome Ryan!

I firmly believe that is the only way to go! Reap what you sow and all that!

hrslvr,
I hope that you do decide to get into them, they are such a unique breed of cattle and have so many good things about them. Many people are biased towards them usually because they don't know about them. Either all they have seen are puny, half starved or bad behaved animals or maybe they just think that they are mean and wild. There will always be the bad individuals in any breed but as a rule these cattle are good doing cattle. Sounds like you have already decided what avenue to take with them. Read about them and talk to as many breeders as you can before making the leap. Go to some sales and study up on pedigrees. You should probably buy your initial stock from a reputable breeder, someone trustworthy and that will steer you right. If you have not already done so read about the seven different families (bloodlines). These are basically what all modern day Longhorns are descended from. I love the Butler family because of their very long horns but I also love the Peeler and Phillips (Texas Ranger) lines because of their big, beefy bodies and great milking abilities. I have a blended herd-mostly Butler, Phillips, Peeler and WR (Wildlfe Refuge). These blood lines seem to blend well into an naimal with the desired qualities that I like-body and horn, milking ability. Of course temperment is good anyway-I think a big degree of this depends on how you handle your cattle anyway. Hey, if you ever get to Tennessee give us a holler and we'll show you some good cattle. :D

I agree with everything Rustler9 said.
I would like to add that shows are another great place to meet people, view top quality cattle, and learn more about the cattle. I've been doing this for a while and i am always learning something new at the shows.

Our herd is totally blended, we really don't pay much attention if they came from a certain family, but more from a certain breeding program. Not trying to belittle anyone that does select for certain families, just not how we/i do it.

Ryan

Ryan,
I agree with you as well. I guess that I should have said that when I see an animal that I like I buy it if I can regardless of the blood line. When I'm at a sale and I see a n asnimsl that I like I usually start thinking about which cow or bull that I can breed it with at home to get a particular trait that I'm looking for. I do like the big bodied animals the best though so that's why I usually lean toward one of those bloodlines.

Wow! :shock: I am getting some great info! Keep it coming!

Rustler9, Where can I go to do some research about the bloodlines? I have heard of the 4 main ones (Butler, Peeler, WR, and Phillips) But most of the info is very general. Do you or anyone else here recommend any trade magazines,books or associations that has more info? Thanks!

As for associations I am a member of the Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America (TLBAA) I have been for a long while. They have a great magazine the Trails. Lots of advertisements, plus some really good articles. If you want to know what I think about the ITLA you can PM me. The Cattleman has lots of good info for cattle in general.

You can Google Texas Longhorn 7 Families and get a lot of good responses.
Here's a link with some history of Texas Longhorns:
http://www.texaslonghorn.net/longhorn_i ... /index.cfm

Here's some regarding the 7 Families:

http://www.fairlealonghorns.com/Articles/sevenfam.html

http://www.texaslonghorn.com/longhorn_i ... lies.shtml

Lots to read if you're interested.

Ryan

Well, got to say this about them, whenever I can find a longhorn around here, I BUY it!, In this area, they are not at all popular, and are actually much maligned. thus they sell rather cheaply.
But I am convinced tha tthey make some of the best mixed breed calves (X angus)going!!!
The will do great in my poorest pastures, are good mothers, calve well, and are hardy as all get out.
Unfortunately, most folks around here that have a few, cut the horns off........ But I have saved a few from that disgrace, and have 3 that are expecting in just a few months.....can't wait to see what we get...unlike our angus x angus, which we KNOW what we are getting, Longhorn X's are always a surprise! :eek: :cboy:

The various Longhorn posters on this thread have pretty well said in summary about the value of Longhorns.

Not much I can add in a short discussion.

We've been getting good prices for our registered Longhorns at Private Treaty sales. The very few we "cull" that don't have the conformation and/or horn growth/potential we sell at weaning to sale barn. No matter how precise you breeding program is there are always the infrequent surprises in the offspring--->Sale Barn. Our stock are from blended bloodlines and are emphasizing the lineages of Overwhelmer, Senator, JR Seman, Ranger, some limited Butler and WR genetics, Ozark Mountain Queen, Roundup, King, Phenomenon, and others.

You can see some of our stock for comparisons of body styles and horns at our website, as well as a section on the Seven Families.

We have also been selling some of our bulls to commercial ranchers for cross-breeding: those that are not compatible with our herd sires program.

hrslvr,
There's some books that you might like to read as well:

The Real Butler Story by Don Limb
Gathering Texas Gold by TJ Barragy

These books are very informative. If you like history/biography type of book. The LH7-In Houston's Shadow by Deborah Sizemore Lightfoot is very interesting. It's the story of the Marks family. EH Marks was one of the seven families as well.

I'm a member of the Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America (TLBAA) as well. I know some ITLA members but am not a member of that association. Darol Dickenson (ITLA) has a good site to learn more as well. Type in DCCI or Dickenson Cattle Company and pull up some of his information. He's also written a book Fillet of Horn that is very interesting. There's alot of Longhorn info out there. Enjoy and please feel free to ask any questions-there's some good Longhorn folks on this board and I think we all like talking about our horned cattle.

I have mixed beef cows and have done very well buying longhorn cows. The longhorns I see go through the barn are mostly 3 types: light boned and small that dont give much milk, real big and real heavy boned with huge based horns, they dont give much milk and are hard to handle, and then about 60 percent of them are the other type, medium to heavy boned, 850-1000 pounds and milk real well and are great mothers. They will eat and do well on pastures that other cows wont touch and I breed them to a charlois bull and they have high selling yellow calves that grow real well. Medic, unfortunately, I am one of those guys who cuts the horns off, I only have 1 horned longhorn. The more demand there is for feeders, the less the discount for the longhorn calves. There are lots of them bringing 1-1.25 now. When the demand is light, there is a larger discount. Up until about 5 years ago, you could buy all the longhorn steers from 400-600 lbs for 30 cents per pound, also all the longhorn cows you wanted for 250-300 dollars. Now they are higher and alot more people are buying them, which also makes the breed more attractive. I have been very happy with the longhorns I have had but I pay attention and stay away from the two types that dont milk

I have a few longhorns myself, a place I bought had a herd of eleven and a bull, and I have to say they are the most trouble free creatures you will ever raise. I raise commercial, angus, and brangus and I have spent more time and money on them. There are definately days that I wonder if a guy would be better off with a pasture full of them rather than the other.

Rod":31jq31o1 said:
I have a few longhorns myself, a place I bought had a herd of eleven and a bull, and I have to say they are the most trouble free creatures you will ever raise. I raise commercial, angus, and brangus and I have spent more time and money on them. There are definately days that I wonder if a guy would be better off with a pasture full of them rather than the other.

Agree. We've been into Longhorns going on 4 years now. Have a herd of 37. Only had two "sick" calves last year: They were with their dams at the A.I. Facility and caught a very slight case of scours. Treated with bolus, resolved quickly. Other than that, of all the Longhorns we've raised, calves, including the ones we've sold, haven't had any illnesses from any of them. They are extremely hardy and very resistant to any illnesses, diseases. Other than Bangs vaccinations by the Vet for heifers, haven't had any Vet calls or had to give any of ours any medication (other than routine vaccinations and de-worming). Their healthy genetics speaks for itself.

Latest posts