question about leasing land

Help Support CattleToday:

tulsagreenhorn

Reaction score
This is a hypothethetical question because I dont have the funds to lease and add cattle yet, but i have some general questions about leasing property for cattle. I have read about lease rates as low as 6-10 dollars an acre which seems very reasonable. Say a person leases 100 acres at $10 per acre with a 2 year lease. However it has not been used for a few years, needs fence work, attention to grass and the like. Say at the end of the two years, the pasture is very nice, new fences all the way around and the owner does not renew the lease with you. Is this the type of situation where temporary electric fence should be used? Do you remove the t-posts that you bought and used or leave them there and try to charge the owner for improvements.

This is the kind of thing I would not like, getting a place perfect for what you want, then not haveing it and you have spent hundreds of dollars and hours on it. I know it is cheaper than buying, but if that happens I would be very frustrated. What steps can be taken to make sure both parties are happy? Thanks in advance

When we lease pasture, we use electric temporary fence. If you were to put in a good fence, I would have it stated in the lease that the fence is your improvement and if the lease is not renewed, the owner must pay you for the fence. And get it notarized

About the only thing I can do is keep the owner happy. When it comes to fence, I pretty much do it as if it were my own.

There is a cross fence that is in really bad shape. The owner is going to pay for all the materials for it to be replaced completely. I'll take care of the labor and he likes my fencing.

If I wind up with used T-Posts, I save them for leased fence repairs. I could just splice wire but I always add posts.

We're going into our third year on a leased place. The lady who owns it works in the city and is divorced. She has no one to help take care of the place. It was part of her family's farm so she wants to hang on to the place. It had fence on it but some of it was either non existing or in really bad shape and it was over grown because she couldn't find anyone to cut it for hay after a few years. We repaired the fences at our expense for two years free lease. Now we pay $15.00 per acre and still maintain the place like we own it. It's a very good arrangement for all involved. We use used t-posts when we have them around. We've not really put that much money in to doing the repairs, most was time and labor. If you find someone like this who is interested in long term leasing it's well worth it. We have a place to run several more head and she keeps her farm maintained and looking nice.

Yes, usually leased land, is a basic agreement that is a compromise settling to both parties. Get it all in writing, and as far as improvements, as you can see from previous posts, everyone is different.