Question about Horses and Cows in the Same Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

upfrombottom

Reaction score
I have a pasture rented and have some lite-bred heifers in it. I have been feeding them about 2 pounds of range cubes per head and a little corn everyday on top of free choice hay. The rye grass is good in this pasture, so they have been eating very little hay.

Well the other day the landlord (not from here) wanted to put his Quarter horse in the pasture and pay me for feeding him. Not even thinking I said sure. He is a heck of a nice guy and we get along well, so I never gave it a second thought until I went to feed the heifers. You can put everything I know about a horse in a thimble and still have room for a sawmill. I put out my usual ration and that dang horse wouldn't let the cows get close to the trough. It scares me that he'll eat to much of what he don't need on top of the heifers aren't getting what I want them to have. Does anybody have a simple solution? The horse is only suppose to be here for 6 weeks or so.

upfrombottom":3vuc6u3j said:
I have a pasture rented and have some lite-bred heifers in it. I have been feeding them about 2 pounds of range cubes per head and a little corn everyday on top of free choice hay. The rye grass is good in this pasture, so they have been eating very little hay.

Well the other day the landlord (not from here) wanted to put his Quarter horse in the pasture and pay me for feeding him. Not even thinking I said sure. He is a heck of a nice guy and we get along well, so I never gave it a second thought until I went to feed the heifers. You can put everything I know about a horse in a thimble and still have room for a sawmill. I put out my usual ration and that dang horse wouldn't let the cows get close to the trough. It scares me that he'll eat to much of what he don't need on top of the heifers aren't getting what I want them to have. Does anybody have a simple solution? The horse is only suppose to be here for 6 weeks or so.

You need to find a way to segregate the horse. He's gonna rule the roost, unless you physically prevent him. At the very least he needs to be restrained while they are eating.

PLAN B: shoot him and blame it on gang activity in the area.

3waycross":3000u54l said:
You need to find a way to segregate the horse. He's gonna rule the roost, unless you physically prevent him. At the very least he needs to be restrained while they are eating.

Down where Upfrom lives a person can get in big trouble from big brother if he tries to segregate ANYTHING
Big Brother came in and DEsegregated that part of the country yrs ago

you better pen that horse off from the heifers for a few reasons.1 the horse will chase them.2.if your feed contains urea for extra protine,it can kill the horse deader than a hammer.3 the horse could get foundered since he is hogging the feed.

bigbull338":13yt4rcz said:
you better pen that horse off from the heifers for a few reasons.1 the horse will chase them.2.if your feed contains urea for extra protine,it can kill the horse deader than a hammer.3 the horse could get foundered since he is hogging the feed.

That's what has me worried

3waycross":13yt4rcz said:

Don't think it didn't cross my mind. I think the horse actually belongs to his wife, and she would put out a contract on both of our heads.

I'm going to haul another trough over there tomorrow and try to tie him to a post and feed him separate. I sure didn't want to have to do that everyday. With my luck he'll probably hang himself.

I bet they see how good your taking care of the horse and leave it there forever. :lol: :lol:

3waycross":2s2t0sg0 said:
upfrombottom":2s2t0sg0 said:

OR about 25 lbs. of fine ground corn.You can drag hiim out of the pasture.

If the Quarter horse is tame, put a halter and lead rope and tie him while you feed the heifers. If the horse isn't tame, let the owner know. Watching a horse colic is a horrible thing. Big changes in a horses diet can/will make him colic/founder. I've seen way too many good horses put down for colic. The horse will not let any of the cattle have any feed; horses are just that way. Maybe if you let the owner know about your situation, he'll either change his mind or help you some.

You don't want to be responsible for a dead Quarter Horse, that's for sure.

I think you could also take a few boards and build a creep type gate that the horse wouldn't have enough sense to go under but would allow the cows access.

Jogeephus":ope8xz1z said:
I think you could also take a few boards and build a creep type gate that the horse wouldn't have enough sense to go under but would allow the cows access.

That's exactly what I've had on my mind all day. But, not having much experience with a horse I don't know what he can get into or under. I actually, thought about putting a roof or just an arbor over the trough just high enough for the cows to get under.

curtis":ope8xz1z said:
I bet they see how good your taking care of the horse and leave it there forever. :lol: :lol:
I didn't tell him, but I wasn't going to charge him anything for keeping him. I'm about to change my mind on that deal. One thing is for sure, he'll be answering to a different name when they come to pick him up. :cowboy:

upfrombottom":3cj7xf6t said:
I don't know what he can get into or under. I actually, thought about putting a roof or just an arbor over the trough just high enough for the cows to get under.

If he's a calm horse he can be kept out by anything that is just a few inches shorter than the top of his body. A horse can't really go under things the way a cow does. The reason I say "If he's calm" is because if he's not, he may try to tear down anything getting in the way of him getting the feed.

Thought of another idea today. Using some poly wire you could easily do it. Horses seem to hate electricity more than cattle. Poly wire would take a few minutes versus a few hours with the boards. I think either would work.

set up 4 of those portable corral panels with a feed pan just for him. When they come up to eat, let him in and lock him up. Everyone eats in peace.

Jogeephus":2c5r58q8 said:
Thought of another idea today. Using some poly wire you could easily do it. Horses seem to hate electricity more than cattle. Poly wire would take a few minutes versus a few hours with the boards. I think either would work.

This will work great , put the fence high enough that the heifers can walk under but the horse cannot . I use this system quite often , it is amazing what one strand of hot wire can do to keep a horse out or in . My big chicken of a mare will not even jump over hot wire, even if it is only a foot off the ground. Zapped once and they never forget. ;-)

If you do not have a fencer ask the owner to provide you with one, if they still want to board their horse there after you go over the difficulties you have with keeping the horse and cattle separate at feeding time.

Latest posts