Question about giving a shot in the muscle??????

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
Will be giving a shot of lutalyse to a couple heifers that a bull got ahold of and I was looking for information as to where the shot should be given. I know it needs to go into the muscle. Anything I need to watch for? It has been 3 weeks.

I think the directions say to inject at 45 days, I have waited a little longer, not much. That is to make it not be such a large discharge. My choice is in the neck, which is where most all are given today, just draw back on the syringe after you stick ir in, to make sure you're not in a vein, if blood registers in the syringe you may be in a vein, so retract a little and put an angle to it, kind of change directions then the same thing, if no blood comes in the syringe push. It's almost foolproof, don't worry n it will work. Good luck.

tryinhard

In he neck is prefered but I've been known to sick it in the top of the rump on older cows. e longer you wait the less likelyhood of the shot working. Anything after 2 weeks of being bred is about right.

Neck is preferred, but I've also been known to stick 'em in the butt if they are raising absolute cain in the headcatch, and it's the only place I can get 'em.

Latest posts