Question about EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
I would like to know how to use EPD'S when selecting a bull. I see how birth weight is important but what other factors do you use to choose one bull over the other?

You need to determine what traits are important for your herd. If you'll sell everything, carcass traits, WW and YW are more imortant then maternal traits. Conversely, if you're going to keep heifers, maternal traits are more important.

dun

Fred,
Paint the epd's on the cows side. Next sick dogs on them. When they run through the gate cut the middle one out and your accuracy should be similiar to trying to make an intelligent breeding decision with epd's . Why don't you have your wife pick the pretty one?

ollie":uulzyrwy said:
Fred,
Paint the epd's on the cows side. Next sick dogs on them. When they run through the gate cut the middle one out and your accuracy should be similiar to trying to make an intelligent breeding decision with epd's . Why don't you have your wife pick the pretty one?

Fred, you have to excuse Ollie. :lol: :lol: :lol: He gets a little tempermental when it comes to EDP's.

Are your cows registered? Are you needing to improve the numbers on the offspring? Or just using EPD's as an additional tool (ollie) to make an educated mating? Check with the association of your choice for the breed average EPD's. Give us a little more info if you can.

Ollie's point is that the EPD's are only as accurate as the folk recording the numbers. They cannot be used soley as a deciding factor, rather an aid in your sire decision.

Fred":61dbn66g said:
I would like to know how to use EPD'S when selecting a bull. I see how birth weight is important but what other factors do you use to choose one bull over the other?

Here's a link to the Angus publication "Bull Buying Strategies." Other breeds probably have something similar, but it might be helpful. If you have more questions, feel free to ask them.

http://www.angus.org/pubs/bullbuy.htm

Latest posts