Quality of meat in a butchered bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TNTLivestock

Reaction score
If you were to butcher a bull at 2-3 years of age, what quality of meat could/would you expect to get? I think I've read that after 18 months of age, their hormones start affecting the meat. Anyone have experience with this that they would share? I'd appreciate it.

I had some bull meat about a year ago and I didn't like it. It tasted gamie and it was a little tougher than I would've liked. This was a bull that someone else butchered and gave me a couple of t-bones. I think the bull was about 4 years old.

Andrew

For hamburger it would be fine. However if you want steaks and roast, i would not. You might be better off to sell the bull and buy a steer or heifer and slaughter one of them in the bulls place.

It will be real, real chewy. But probably the best and fullest flavored beef you've ever eaten. That is if you like the taste of eral beef and not the stuff from the 12-18 month calves.

dun":1014sbly said:
That is if you like the taste of eral beef and not the stuff from the 12-18 month calves.

I'm afraid I dont know what "real" beef is. Of course I've had the grocery store stuff and I've had grass fed and grain fed beef...the 12-18 month old calves you mentioned. But what's real beef?

We finished a 3 year old bull a few years back - tasted fine.

Was not a steer, but no complaints from the family.

Bez>

TNTLivestock":353l1x2w said:
dun":353l1x2w said:
That is if you like the taste of eral beef and not the stuff from the 12-18 month calves.

I'm afraid I dont know what "real" beef is. Of course I've had the grocery store stuff and I've had grass fed and grain fed beef...the 12-18 month old calves you mentioned. But what's real beef?

Tastes like beef, very high flavored. Wife hates the stuff.

dun

I've butchered bulls as old as five years. They have all tasted fine. If the meat is a bit tough just us a bit of tenderizer on it. I've had people look at me like I was crazy for butchering bulls, but when I fed them a steak they didn't know the difference.

I'd band him and then wait at least 90 days before butcher. Got to remember though there is now a "cut off" time as to when a custom butcher can come out and do the deed, least there is here and I think it is around 30 months. They will mouth him to check the age. If over I think 30 months they will have to bone it which costs more. We have it done on our ranch. Saves money over sending it to the butcher cause they can leave the head, feet, tail, and insides you don't eat out in the pasture. Less stress on the animal as well which I think makes a huge difference in taste.

About 2 years ago I had a bull that was around 30 mos. that we had done. All grass fed except for just a bit of cracked corn every day to keep him coming around. He tasted great.

J

A 2-3 year old bull in good flesh, most likely will be good.

Do you like cubed steaks, or minute steaks? Make the rounds into cubed steaks. Save just the best of steaks, and if you find them to chewy, cut them up for crockpot, stew or pot roast. :)

Latest posts