Put Out My Last Round Bale

Help Support CattleToday:

I fed 130 4x4 bales and 163 4x5 bales this year to 86 head

I usually feed hay in the bad places in my pasture. In the spring if there is much height to the hay piles I will take an old shredder and go over it from different directions to chop it up and spread it. I then take a 6' tandem and cut it into the ground as much as I can. I have bermuda grass and it usually comes out/ through the hay pretty well.The hay that is left helps hold moisture and those spots are usually better than they were the year before. I usually have to spray them for weeds as the weeds come from disturbing the soil.

How do you folks estimate the amount of hay you will need for the winter. We use an estimate of 4 round bales per cow. This year we were way off using that number it was more like 1 1/4 per head, but our winter pastures came in early and grew really well all winter.

Gizmom

I am certainly happy it is looking much greener here now and grass is growing. I managed to get buy without buying more hay, but I had to give them a little grain to keep them happy too. I think next year we will try to stockpile additional acreage and keep a few extra rounds on hand just in case. It is interesting to see everyone's replies. Thanks.

It's always interesting to me, how much hay you guys south of me feed and how long you feed.

Just put out more hay tonight. Calling for snow and freezing temps next week so we still have a while to go before we have grass to graze.

Still feeding hay too...should be coming to an end...75 degrees today..80 tomorrow..here's hoping

Here we are past mid-April and I don't recall seeing anyone putting hay back in the barns......guess it's been a little wet for that. Certainly know we haven't had baling weather.

Latest posts